How to recover saved sessions after a crash that uninstalled extensions

Eddie Donald

Jul 8, 2021, 1:53:42 PM7/8/21
to Session Buddy Discussion
Hello,

My laptop (windows 10) crashed and said it ran into an unexpected error (which happens from time to time), only this time when I rebooted my computer, I wasn't able to restore my windows and I had been logged out of chrome and my extensions had been uninstalled.

Upon logging back in, my extensions were then reinstalled but all of my sessions were gone when I opened session buddy. Luckily I was able to recover my previous 9 window, 663 tab session in chrome after going to my history and finding my tabs under "Tabs from other devices," but I'm wondering if I can somehow recover 3 years worth of saved sessions with session buddy.

I had tried going into my file explorer and looking for user data prior to the crash but I could not find anything. This has never happened to me before so it would be more than greatly appreciated if I can somehow recover my lost sessions.

Thank you

Eddie Donald

Jul 8, 2021, 4:12:54 PM7/8/21
to Session Buddy Discussion
Edit: I tried to "restore previous versions" after right clicking the "chrome-extension_edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko_0" folder but it said there were no previous versions available. I then proceeded to open that folder and found only 1 file named "1" that was approximately 1056 KB in size and last modified at a time after the crash. Is there anywhere else I can access all of my previous session data?

Sven Niemetz

Jul 8, 2021, 4:59:26 PM7/8/21
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Jikes, sorry to hear about that.

what folders do you see in C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome
and
what folders do you see in C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

I *think* your original profile got wiped and you got a clean, synced profile. The SB db is in that profile folder :(

Do you have a restore point by any chance?

BTW you may need more Ram :)

------------
Sven Niemetz                                        cell 415 407 2133
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sniemetz        efax 435 603-2133

Eddie Donald

Jul 10, 2021, 12:47:04 AM7/10/21
to Session Buddy Discussion
For  C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome I'm just seeing "user data" and in the user data folder I'm seeing the attached screenshots. From there I went to C:\Users\eddie\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko_0 and I'm just seeing 1 File named "1" which by now I fear may have been overwritten some from my recent activity, that is if there was any original data there in the first place. I tried opening it but I can't seem to find an app that will do so without saying it's damaged. I also checked for restore points and I don't have any.

I've been exploring this thread https://groups.google.com/g/sessionbuddy-discuss/c/JB4s5PpdIss and have downloaded diskdrill4 but I'm still working on how to figure it all out without doing something irreversible.

Honestly I'm just glad my current session got saved in my history (as most of the lost sessions were just previous versions of the one I'm using to date) but maybe this was for the best to end my tab hoarding, although I'd still like to obtain my old sessions. I have most of the important stuff saved and some memory of the lost sessions as well as all the important parts of those sessions bookmarked. Sometimes I'd have 1400+ tabs open (18, 82~ tab windows) on my 8GB ram laptop but somehow it seems to manage, although it would be nice to have 16GB.
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (19).png
Screenshot (17).png

Sven Niemetz

Jul 10, 2021, 1:37:46 AM7/10/21
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - this looks like everything previous got wiped.

the database file is a SQLlite file - you can download a SQLlite gui and open it. Of courseit won't have nay of the old stuff :(

If you can I'd encourage the ram. I started on a recent work machine with 16GB; i keep ~ 50 open tabs (not suspended) with a few extensions. CHrome would crash once a day; sometimes blue screen of death.
I now have 32GB - never coming close to using it - but the machine (Win10) stays up for weeks :)

Sorry for the mishapp and welcome to the group!