Invalid Session Buddy v3 database file with large v3 DB files

Alison Goodrich

Apr 25, 2024, 3:30:27 PMApr 25
to Session Buddy Discussion
Hello,

When trying to use the v3 migration tool on large files>500mb I consistently get invalid session buddy V3 database file. I have DB files in the gb range. I had another separate instance of chrome that was able to migrate a large v3 file when v4 was doing migration automatically  in the extension.  I tested this v3 DB with the migration tool and it also gives a error.

However this current instance of chrome I am working with crashed and I now only have the old v3 DB as backup with the majority of collections ~95%.

I understand that having such a large files things won't work perfectly but If you could offer any insight it would be much appreciated. Looking through the code it seems the reactjs filereader has issues with large files but that's as far as I can get with the little IT experience I have.

Thank you,

Session Buddy Support

Apr 30, 2024, 1:09:05 PMApr 30
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting. I haven’t had a chance to dig into this but you should be able to work around it by re-triggering the auto import (which won’t duplicate collections).

I will follow up with instructions.

Hans

Session Buddy Support

May 10, 2024, 6:02:13 PMMay 10
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Here's how you can re-trigger the data migration if you are on Chrome v123 or earlier:

1. With the Session Buddy tab selected, click the Chrome menu, then select More tools > Developer tools
2. In the DevTools window that opens, select the Application tab
3. Expand IndexedDB on the left, then nxsSettings, then click settings

image.png

4. On the right, select the item with key "upgradeAcknowledgment" and hit Delete
5. Close Chrome completely
6. Open the v3 database file in a sqlite editor (I recommend DB Browser for SQLite)
7. Execute the following 2 SQL statements:

update SavedSessions set users=''
update PreviousSessions set users=''

8. Make sure to commit the changes (in DB Browser for SQLite, click the Write Changes button)
9. Close the sqlite editor
10. restart Chrome and open a Session Buddy tab. You should see the data migration progress.

Let me know how that goes!

If you're already on Chrome v124 or later, lemme know and I'll dig into the migration tool failure.

Hans

Alison Goodrich

Jun 24, 2024, 2:11:55 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
Thanks for the reply I tried it to no avail i am on Chrome v124 thanks for  the assistance .

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 10:06:43 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
OK. I assume you still need help with dropping a large file into the migration tool? Lemme know and I'll dig into it.

Hans

Anoir Ben Tanfous

Jul 2, 2024, 11:18:04 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 2
to Session Buddy Discussion
Hans, could you develop a tool to address a significant issue with Session Buddy - the inability to import large exports efficiently into SB or other supporting session managers? Perhaps using AI (I hope that this will not irritate you), you could create a solution adaptable to various systems with differing resources (despite my 64GB main computer, crashes occur when attempting to import a 500MB+ export). Additionally, reconsidering exports to minimize duplicate storage space (via hashing) and implementing session comparison for selective saving of differences could be beneficial. While your expertise is primary, I offer these suggestions to enhance efficiency by leveraging URL or file hashes for file size reduction.

Session Buddy Support

7:22 PM (1 hour ago) 7:22 PM
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> inability to import large exports efficiently into SB

Interesting. This was happening a lot with SB v3 but in v4 imports are streamed so I would no longer expect RAM to be a limiting factor. Which version of SB are you using?

Hans