Why can I no longer just click an "x" to close a folder?

Mike Rizzi

Mar 26, 2024, 3:39:36 PMMar 26
to Session Buddy Discussion
I see that v4.0.2 has brought back the ability to close tab by selecting "x"
However, a much more important lost feature for me is the ability to close what is now called a folder.

Having to right click on each folder one at a time to delete them is time consuming drag. I often have dozens of windows open and when I save a Collection, my intent is for the saved collection to be a much smaller subset of all my open windows.

So, pretty please, bring back close a folder one click of 'x'

thanks,
mike

capaz

Mar 26, 2024, 6:32:48 PMMar 26
On Tuesday, March 26, 2024 at 1:39:36 PM UTC-6 Mike Rizzi wrote:
I see that v4.0.2 has brought back the ability to close tab by selecting "x"
However, a much more important lost feature for me is the ability to close what is now called a folder.

Having to right click on each folder one at a time to delete them is time consuming drag. I often have dozens of windows open and when I save a Collection, my intent is for the saved collection to be a much smaller subset of all my open windows.

Did you know that you can multi-select (click for single; click & ctrl/cmd-click for multiple; and click & shift-click for a range) folders and tabs within a collection, and then right-click --> Delete  everything that's selected, at once?  Apologies if I've misunderstood, but I'm hoping that helps with the "one at a time" problem.
HTH
Message has been deleted

Mike Rizzi

Mar 26, 2024, 9:53:48 PMMar 26
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but multi-click is not an intuitive user experience for me.
Plus, it is difficult to perform and is more complicated than just clicking on a couple of 'x' buttons.

For a sense of the UX frustration...when I use Ctrl+click on a folder and then use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll down to the next folder, the Chrome browser zooms to a very small font.

So, pretty please...bring back the [x]

mike
 Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel.
 Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is
 fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some
 nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run
 about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the
 radio.  -- Hunter S. Thompson

Message has been deleted

Mike Rizzi

Mar 26, 2024, 11:22:50 PMMar 26
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry Hans, I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. I have 4.0.2. installed and I'm aware of, and appreciate that hovering over a tab displays an "X" allowing the tab to be closed.

I'm asking for the same functionality for the Windows (previously Folder).
Something that version 3.0 used to have.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 7:00 PM Hans Meyer <ma...@hansmeyer.com> wrote:
> So, pretty please...bring back the [x]

It's back.

See:

and "Why can I no longer just click an “x” to close a tab?" at https://sessionbuddy.com/v4-faq/

Hans

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Session Buddy Discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sessionbuddy-discuss/CADij5zKeYka2051xZ38RUj%3DRqjPaCTx6Xe2iy_3gabkFpeBtWA%40mail.gmail.com.

Session Buddy Support

Mar 27, 2024, 12:01:08 AMMar 27
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
>  I'm afraid you've misunderstood me

Yea I realized right after I posted and deleted the post :)

I'll have to noodle on this. Thanks for bringing it up.

Hans

Nathan Hunt

Apr 5, 2024, 10:27:16 AMApr 5
to Session Buddy Discussion
I would also really appreciate this feature! Being able to delete single tabs with the X has already been very helpful to bring back (I usually only need to delete a small number of tabs in a sequence, so it's faster to click 3 times than click, hold shift, move the mouse down, click again, right click, move down to delete, click that. The range selection I'm sure is great if you need to delete large ranges, but single-click is much easier for small numbers of deletions at once), but my use case is often that when I'm done with work, I save everything I have open to a couple of different sessions grouped by windows that are about different topics. So it's much nicer to be able to quickly delete whole windows from a saved session. I'd love to just have an X to the left of the windows like the tabs (when some setting is turned on for this if you don't want to change the default).

Thanks for the updates already on v4; it's already gotten much better for my use cases from the start!

Daryle Tilroe

Apr 5, 2024, 11:07:41 AMApr 5
to Session Buddy Discussion
Hallelujah! 4.0.3 has made Session Buddy almost useable again!  The main thing still missing is extending the one click close option back to folders/windows in both sessions and history.  As I said elsewhere IMHO the session and snapshot history displays should behave basically identically and I think we are pretty much back to that.

Session Buddy Support

Apr 5, 2024, 11:14:50 AMApr 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> one click close option back to folders/windows in both sessions and history

Added to v4.0.4 potentials

Hans

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential, proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this in error, please disregard the contents, inform the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The copying, dissemination, or distribution of this message, if misdirected, is strictly prohibited.

Mike Rizzi

Apr 5, 2024, 11:42:09 AMApr 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Like Nathan and Daryle, I *really really* miss the ability to press [x] to remove a folder from a Collection. I usually have multiple named collections of windows and tabs open. And my frequent workflow is to "Replace with open tabs", then remove the folders not associated with that collection, then close those Chrome window(s) for future use.

I've been trying real hard to use the multi-select approach and never seem to get it right (usually miss some folders, though occasionally close one I didn't mean to). Not having the simplicity of press [x] to remove a folder from a Collection is severely hampering my workflow and usability. At the moment, I dread having to save off a group of windows and tabs to a Collection because of how time consuming it is.

Long story short, this is my number 1 most important bring back from v3 feature request. Pretty please.

Thanks,
mike
 Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel.
 Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is
 fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some
 nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run
 about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the
 radio.  -- Hunter S. Thompson

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) are confidential, proprietary to the City of Edmonton, and are intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this in error, please disregard the contents, inform the sender of the misdirection, and remove it from your system. The copying, dissemination, or distribution of this message, if misdirected, is strictly prohibited.

jo...@ajollylife.com

Apr 18, 2024, 6:37:45 PMApr 18
to Session Buddy Discussion
Thanks! came here to ask the same.

Jolly

Jun 5, 2024, 3:41:49 PMJun 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Any eta on 4.0.4? The lack of one click to close feature is really slowing me down, and v3 of session buddy finally stopped working.

Mike Rizzi

Jun 5, 2024, 11:12:29 PMJun 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Like others, not having the single click of [x] to close a Window** has significant usability for my workflow. I used to save sessions many times a day or various scenarios, but because it's so slow to do with the current UX, I  don't save as many sessions...meaning I'm not using Session Buddy to its full potential for me.

I'm glad that you have it on the feature list for 4.0.4. Thanks.
However, I'm a little confused about how the description is phrased, which I've copied here for convenience:
  • Checkbox selection / one-click close for folders and windows
The above description would be perfect if it didn't include "Checkbox selection"...because a checkbox selection is not a one-click close. They seem mutually exclusive to me, though I certainly may be missing or misunderstanding something. I know you are super busy, but if you have time to clarify, it'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
mike

** Window meaning the representation of a Chrome Window that contains all the tabs for that window.

 Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel.
 Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is
 fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some
 nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run
 about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the
 radio.  -- Hunter S. Thompson

Session Buddy Support

Jun 5, 2024, 11:15:41 PMJun 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

Session Buddy Support

Jun 5, 2024, 11:18:24 PMJun 5
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
As with the current version, it's checkbox select by default, and one-click close if "Enable single-click close and delete" is checked in Settings > Other.

Hope that clarifies things.

Hans

Mike Rizzi

Jun 6, 2024, 11:39:03 AMJun 6
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh...got it.
Excellent.
Thank you. Much appreciated!

mike

 Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel.
 Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is
 fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some
 nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run
 about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the
 radio.  -- Hunter S. Thompson

Orian Marx

Jun 22, 2024, 7:42:14 AM (12 days ago) Jun 22
to Session Buddy Discussion
I'm thrilled that this quick delete capability has been restored. I'm not so thrilled that I just accidentally deleted a folder when trying to select it, and there is no "undo" to be found (I believe this used to exist). Argh!

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 5:31:11 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about that. Undo will be re-added soon.

Hans