SessionBuddy 4.0.2 - Comments for UI

MiNi

Mar 24, 2024, 12:52:05 PMMar 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
I received the update 4.0.2

a) Delete Icon:

I would expect the delete icon to be placed in its own separate column, rather than alongside the website icon.
With a separate column for the delete icon, the selection icon remains accessible and can be utilized simultaneously.
Use case: While scanning through a list of tabs and selecting some for further actions, I should be able to instantly delete unused tabs.

b) Missing Selection Checkbox:

When I switched to one-click delete mode, only the delete icon became visible. To select a tab, I can only click directly on the tab. To select multiple tabs, I have to use cmd+click. If the delete and select icons had their own columns, it would be preferable, as it would provide a checkbox for selection alongside.

c) Search: Unable to Close Dropdown

After typing a search and pressing enter, the dropdown remains visible. Initially, I tried to dismiss the dropdown by pressing the ESC key, but this action cancels the search. Currently, I have to click elsewhere with the mouse to close the dropdown displaying the search results.

d) Delete Confirmation

The delete confirmation only displays "x tabs will be closed." It would be more helpful to present a full list with the titles, such as:

---
8 tabs will be closed:

- Youtube: Title 1
- Youtube: Title 2
- Youtube: Title 3
...and more (show more)
---

MiNi

Mar 24, 2024, 12:57:27 PMMar 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
make the number of tabs in each window more visible. just now it is only displayed when I hover over it. but it should be visible alwasy

MiNi

Mar 24, 2024, 12:59:42 PMMar 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
save collection: it also can be auto-named, I always name my saved sessions as "YYYY-MM-DD": 2024-03-24
So instead saving them as "unnamed" an other default would be nice to have

Session Buddy Support

Mar 24, 2024, 7:34:27 PMMar 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> After typing a search and pressing enter, the dropdown remains visible

Type your search terms, hit Enter, then hit Tab twice

Hans

Session Buddy Support

Mar 24, 2024, 7:35:46 PMMar 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> instead saving them as "unnamed" an other default would be nice to have

Agreed. Auto-naming feature has been added to the backlog.

Hans

midi510

Mar 25, 2024, 6:59:43 AMMar 25
to Session Buddy Discussion
I don't have any interest in "auto-naming", but I can't understand why anyone would ever want a collection labeled "Unnamed". Every time I save a collection, I name it. I really thought 4.02 was going to have a prompt to name when saving. It's just such an unnecessary step to have to edit the unnamed session to name it. I also hope that when this comes back, when I start naming, a little filter list will appear showing previous names with the same spelling as I type, so I can add suffix's to previous names without searching to see what my last version of a particular name is. Hope this makes sense. Otherwise, v 4 is working great for me. Thanks.

Session Buddy Support

Mar 25, 2024, 11:34:40 AMMar 25
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> thought 4.02 was going to have a prompt to name when saving

It does. You can turn it on in Settings > Collections.

> when I start naming, a little filter list will appear showing previous names

I like this idea.

Hans

JP

Mar 26, 2024, 12:34:35 PMMar 26
to Session Buddy Discussion
I second all of your suggestions. And if you allow me, let me just add the following regarding two of them.

>>> d) Delete Confirmation
>>> The delete confirmation only displays "x tabs will be closed." It would be more helpful to present a full list with the titles

I think a good compromise would be to have an easily accessible filter to only show selected links. This way, it would be easy to take a look at what we are about to delete and, if everything is ok, then click/select delete.
The complete list you propose (which you are suggesting would be shown in the dialog box for deletion) would be suitable for a few links, but after a certain number of links it would become visually unclear, I think.

>>> save collection: it also can be auto-named, I always name my saved sessions as "YYYY-MM-DD": 2024-03-24
>>> So instead saving them as "unnamed" an other default would be nice to have

I also very much agree with you here.
I even wrote something along those lines, I think, in my post last weekend (not available. pending approval).

Here it is:

Instead of "unnamed" as the default name of a collection you could use the timestamp as it was practice to name "previous sessions" in v3. In the text box where it is asked for the collection's name it's still better to have several collections with their timestamps as their titles, rather than having multiple "untitled" collections, when you don't want to give them a name, for some reason, at that time.

   Solution: Include as the default name of a saved session, inside the input box, the timestamp in the style of v3 Previous Sessions [e.g.: 2024/03/21 22h30] (in v3 the date also conformed with windows localization settings). The default name would be overwritten if one starts to type a new one. And if one changes its mind and delete what was typed, the default would be again the original one, the timestamp.

JP

Session Buddy Support

Mar 28, 2024, 11:16:04 PMMar 28
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> a) Delete icon

I'm not sure I understand how the use case you outlined lends support to the idea of a separate column for the delete icon. Can you clarify?

> b) checkbox + delete icon

This starts to get cluttered and I'm concerned it will lead to a higher incidence of accidental deletions. Most similar UIs put selection separately from actions (eg Gmail). What do you think about right-aligning close and other actions and keeping only selection on the left? Would that feel weird here?

> c) Unable to Close Dropdown

This will be changed in v4.0.3 to remain closed on search until search input is re-focused (borrowed from Gmail)

> d) Delete confirmation additional detail

Nice idea. Some other work to be done first  :)

Hans

Session Buddy Support

Mar 28, 2024, 11:19:01 PMMar 28
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> number of tabs in each window only displayed when I hover

May add an option to always show.

Hans

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 10:57 AM MiNi <niet...@gmail.com> wrote:
make the number of tabs in each window more visible. just now it is only displayed when I hover over it. but it should be visible alwasy

Session Buddy Support

Mar 28, 2024, 11:24:25 PMMar 28
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
>  easily accessible filter to only show selected links

For reference, do you have any examples of software that does this or something similar?

Hans

MiNi

May 21, 2024, 6:33:43 AMMay 21
Session Buddy Support schrieb am Freitag, 29. März 2024 um 04:16:04 UTC+1:
> a) Delete icon

I'm not sure I understand how the use case you outlined lends support to the idea of a separate column for the delete icon. Can you clarify?

After some time, I got used to it, but I remember it being that way before. 😉

> b) checkbox + delete icon

This starts to get cluttered and I'm concerned it will lead to a higher incidence of accidental deletions. Most similar UIs put selection separately from actions (eg Gmail). What do you think about right-aligning close and other actions and keeping only selection on the left? Would that feel weird here?

How about having a checkbox mode?

Yes, the Gmail UI was exactly what I had in mind. We could have checkboxes for selection and actions applicable to all checked items.

I don’t really like the idea of having close/delete icons on the right side, but it might be safer. I'm not sure which I prefer.

I like the idea of having options: swap or enable checkboxes on the left/right and delete icons on the left/right.

> d) Delete confirmation additional detail

Nice idea. Some other work to be done first  :)

---
8 tabs will be closed:

- Youtube: Title 1
- Youtube: Title 2
- Youtube: Title 3
...and more (show more)
---

the "show more" button/link can be a combination with this idea from JP:

> >  easily accessible filter to only show selected links
> For reference, do you have any examples of software that does this or something similar?

When a user clicks on "show more," it will display only the selected items in the result list.

For the result list in the checkbox action menu (described previously but not currently available), the following actions can be included:

- Show only selected items (Selected items remain selected)
- Hide selected items (Hidden items have their selection removed, ensuring that checkbox menu actions require new selections and do not act on previously selected and now hidden items)

When a user hit "show more" in the confirmation box, the "show only selected items" action will be triggered, closing the dialog. The user can then review their selection and execute the delete action again if needed.

MiNi

May 22, 2024, 9:26:16 AMMay 22
MiNi schrieb am Dienstag, 21. Mai 2024 um 12:33:43 UTC+2:
Session Buddy Support schrieb am Freitag, 29. März 2024 um 04:16:04 UTC+1:
> a) Delete icon

I'm not sure I understand how the use case you outlined lends support to the idea of a separate column for the delete icon. Can you clarify?

After some time, I got used to it, but I remember it being that way before. 😉

you asked for similar apps with UI: with one tab there is the X icon floating on an extra column:

 Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-22 um 15.23.40.png

Session Buddy Support

May 22, 2024, 10:45:12 AMMay 22
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That one I sort of get.

IIRC the question about similar apps was in reference to "easily accessible filter to only show selected links" (although maybe also the other thing).

Hans

Message has been deleted

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 12:16:57 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
v4.0.4 adds an option to always show these counts (see "Always show tab and link counts" in Settings > Other).

Hans

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 10:57 AM MiNi <niet...@gmail.com> wrote:
make the number of tabs in each window more visible. just now it is only displayed when I hover over it. but it should be visible alwasy

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 12:18:23 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
v4.0.4 adds a new option for auto-naming collections.

See "Auto-name collections" in Settings > Collections.

Hans