How to recover v4 database?

Snow

Jun 22, 2024, 11:49:34 AM (11 days ago) Jun 22
to Session Buddy Discussion
My OS SSD died but I'm able to recover almost all the data from it.

I've followed the instructions to replace the
chrome-extension_edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko_0.indexeddb.blob
and
chrome-extension_edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko_0.indexeddb.leveldb
folders with the recovered ones, but I can't have Session Buddy see the automatically saved sessions.

I'm saying this because when I go into the database, there are files named like "6e6", "6e7", "6e8" and their date modified are all exactly 1 or 2 hours apart. So I know Session Buddy is still auto-saving my sessions.

I can open these files with a text editor and it shows website links and some other random characters (I'm guessing I'm not using the correct decoder), but I don't know how to use them in Session Buddy so I can get back my latest session right before my SSD died.

If anyone can help thank you very much!

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 5:39:25 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide some more details about what's missing after restoring the database folders?

Did any part of the data get restored? Did the collections restore? Did SOME of the history restore?

Also, can you provide a link to the instructions you followed?

Thanks,
Hans

Snow

Jun 24, 2024, 6:47:35 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
Hi Hans,

I followed this instruction page: https://sessionbuddy.com/data-location-v4/

After doing so, some of my saved sessions were restored, but I didn't get any history snapshot. My last manual save was 3 months ago, so a lot has changed and I'd like to restore the auto-saved snapshots.

I think Session Buddy on my new browser just doesn't have the correct index to read all the snapshots I've copied over, so the history won't show them. It'd be nice if there is a tool to read a snapshot file.

Thanks a lot!

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 7:12:16 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
The IndexedDB files can't be read directly but it's strange that the restore was partial unless the SSD recovery of both folders itself was partial. Sounds like that might be the case?

Hans

Snow

Jun 24, 2024, 7:29:22 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
Maybe some of the files didn't fully recover, but I'm sure the latest snapshot file is fine. I can open the file and see the links in there.

So Session Buddy v4 can create these snapshot files but can't read them directly?

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 7:38:40 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> So Session Buddy v4 can create these snapshot files?

Not directly. These files provide the backing for an IndexedDB database.

Hans

Snow

Jun 24, 2024, 8:01:04 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
Is it possible to know what Session Buddy uses to encode these snapshots?

The URLs in the snapshot are very readable but there are also some random characters which I assume are for the webpage title and some other data. I also have tabs in other languages so they are converted as well.

Worst case scenario I can just manually open these URLs one by one, but I'd like to avoid doing that.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 8:05:39 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
SB isn't doing any encoding of this data. That's the underlying storage mechanism. It's an IndexedDB implementation based on LevelDB.

Hans

Snow

Jun 24, 2024, 8:15:59 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Session Buddy Discussion
Great, thanks!

I think I'll take it from here. But most likely I'll just manually open the URLs one by one.

Appreciate the help!

Session Buddy Support

Jun 24, 2024, 8:17:59 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing. Sorry I couldn't provide an answer involving less grunt work.

Hans