TC39 Compartments on Matrix

Kris Kowal

Jun 6, 2022, 12:51:17 AM6/6/22
to SES-strategy
I’ve arranged for a venue to discuss the Compartments proposal under the umbrella of TC39s Matrix. Jordan has created a new room for us:

I invite all champions and interested parties to participate there. I am expecting a lot of interest and activity between this plenary and the next, as we try to shake out a proposal that can advance to stage 2 in that time frame.

The import reflection and module block proposals have champions who are motivated to advance quickly. Compartments answer questions for these proposals that I would like to be ground truth rather than speculation as they firm up. So there’s a sudden upwelling of political will for compartments that I would like to harness.

As for the proposal itself, my current project is to narrow the profile of the proposal to minimize resistance at plenary and provide a suitable foundation for our shared interests once we have a module loader in the language. That conversation takes place on PR https://github.com/tc39/proposal-compartments/pull/46

To advance to stage 2, I believe we need spec text. We also may want to lead with a 262 refactor to decouple static module record from module instance without any normative impact. I will of course need a great deal of help with that, having written none of 262, and closely read only slightly more. I am hoping that we can pool resources with Igalia and interested parties, especially with Agoric engineering time coming at a premium this month as well, leading up to our first major software commitment!

Kris