Mark appears on NOVA from PBS

Alex Vincent

Nov 10, 2022, 1:11:21 AM11/10/22
to SES Strategy
Mark, why didn't you tell us you were making an appearance on NOVA?  😎

--
"The first step in confirming there is a bug in someone else's work is confirming there are no bugs in your own."
-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001

Alex Vincent

Nov 10, 2022, 2:20:19 AM11/10/22
to SES Strategy
Huh, I actually learned several things by watching this episode.  My biggest objection to (and why I've steered well clear of) crypto-currency has been the huge energy cost I've heard about all these years.  Which translates not just to enormous electricity bills, but the environmental costs of generating that much energy, including increasing carbon dioxide in our atmosphere.  It's been a huge moral disincentive for me on those grounds.

Late in the episode, a contributor mentions efforts to replace the deliberately energy-intensive algorithm with a much less energy-intensive one inside Ethereum's environment, relying on existing currency holders to do the mining.  I was totally ignorant of that, and it may cause a major rethink for me.

I think it was a fairly balanced, in-depth story, the kind NOVA excels at.  Normally, I delete the episode once I watch it.  This one I might have to buy the DVD for... and no, not because Mark's in it.

Alex

Mark S. Miller

Nov 10, 2022, 7:32:11 AM11/10/22
to Alex Vincent, SES Strategy
Ethereum has successfully switched to proof of stake. Almost all recent chains, including Agoric, are proof of stake from the beginning. No egregious energy costs for these.

Daniel Finlay

Nov 13, 2022, 6:56:57 PM11/13/22
to Mark S. Miller, Alex Vincent, SES Strategy
I thought it was great! My mother in law it, and started saying coherent things about proof of stake! Imagine my surprise when I see Mark and suddenly am able to have conversations with her about my work!

Mark S. Miller

Nov 13, 2022, 6:59:44 PM11/13/22
to Daniel Finlay, Alex Vincent, SES Strategy
;)