Python support

Jaanus Kivistik

Mar 5, 2023, 12:13:17 PM3/5/23
to Service Weaver
Hi folks,

this is very intriguing project and shows great promise in getting microservices stacks much more digestible!

I know it's currently very much Go-focused but do you see a Python version also in horizon? The principles should be applicable but there is certainly difference between compiled and interpreted languages and typing in such frameworks.

Best,
Jaanus Kivistik
CTO @ Veriff

Srdjan Petrovic

Mar 5, 2023, 1:20:55 PM3/5/23
to Service Weaver
Hi Jaanus,

Our plan is definitely to support more languages. In fact, all of our existing deployers, while written in Go, were designed to support a binary written in any language.

Python is actually a great candidate because it'll be easy to generate client/server stubs for it. (Unlike other languages like C++.) The team is going to focus on adding cross-application support to Service Weaver first, and then we're thinking of tackling more languages.

Thanks,
-Srdjan

Jaanus Kivistik

Mar 5, 2023, 2:46:14 PM3/5/23
to Service Weaver
Thanks Srdjan for prompt reply!

We at Veriff run a Python-centric microservices stack and we'd be happy to contribute and/or consider sponsoring Python support related development into Serviceweaver.

Best,
Jaanus

Ruei An

Mar 6, 2023, 11:33:42 AM3/6/23
to Service Weaver
Hi Jaanus,

I think that Ray has already done something similar.
Jaanus Kivistik 在 2023年3月6日 星期一凌晨3:46:14 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

Srdjan Petrovic

Mar 6, 2023, 1:16:24 PM3/6/23
to Service Weaver
Hi Jaanus,

Thank you so much for the offer. We will discuss it tomorrow and we may just take you up on it!

As Ruei points out, Ray has a Python-level integration which may be a good starting point. One place where our APIs differ is the use of comments to annotate the code. With Service Weaver, we use type embeddings instead, and will likely to want to preserve this property if the language allows it.

I'll update this thread tomorrow.

Thanks!
-Srdjan