how to run on different machines?

Chris K.

Mar 6, 2023, 11:33:26 AM3/6/23
to Service Weaver
Hello,

first, congratulations and thank you for this interesting new project!

I have a rather stupid question:

When I browsed the serviceweaver website I was intrigued by the statement "Run your components wherever you want: in the same process or on different machines".

sw.png

And I was a bit disappointed to find the docs not mentioning how to actualy do that ("run components on multiple machines") in a generic way. 🙂

There are only mentioned the "multiprocess" (multiple processes on the same machine) and the rather specific, rather complex "gke" (based on k8s) ways.

I'm aware this is a version 0.1 release and there are things still to come. But just to ask: Is it, with the current release, somehow possible to run i.e. the tutorial reverser component on a different machine than the main function, without having to write my own deployer?

(With multiple machines, I mean, in the most generic way, just two Linux hosts with dedicated IP addresses that can reach each other over the network. No control plane to manage these machines. For example VMs but could be any other type of host).

Related, I can see there's a "weaver ssh" command with no mention in the docs and a scarce help message. Is this maybe a deployer for multiple machines? Or is it meant for something else?

(Disclaimer: I've only played with SW briefly and am not aware of its internals).

Best,
Chris

Robert Grandl

Mar 6, 2023, 11:40:56 AM3/6/23
to Chris K., Service Weaver
Hi Chris,

The `weaver ssh` deployer allows you to run an application on multiple machines. The config file in the collatz example has an example on how to specify the locations where you want to run.

Note that `weaver ssh` deployer is less polished than the other deployers we have right now (e.g., we don't support blue/green deployments), but we welcome contributions to improve it.

We plan to add it to the documentation, and it's on our radar. Unfortunately we didn't have the time yet.

Let us know if you get into any issues while running it. https://github.com/ServiceWeaver/weaver/issues/100 describes a known issue (but we are working towards a fix).

Thanks,
- Robert

Chris K.

Mar 6, 2023, 4:47:09 PM3/6/23
to Service Weaver
hi Robert,

thanks a lot for pointing me to the example. I think that gives me the context I was missing. I'll give it a try.

Best,
Chris