ServiceStack MessagePack slower compared to WCF netTCP binding

Brett Skinner

Dec 29, 2014, 7:30:00 AM12/29/14
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am trying to build a case for switching to ServiceStack from WCF. We are using WCF with net TCP endpoints. We made quite a few config changes from the standard to get WCF to perform but we eventually got there. ServiceStack, using the MessagePack format appears to be about 20% slower than WCF. I changed to ProtoBuf and then ServiceStack took the lead slightly. But I do prefer the attributeless POCO DTOs that MessagePack provides.

I know it is really hard to comment without context but is there anything that I could configure (it is only fair that I configure ServiceStack to be optimized for TCP/IP because we configured WCF as well) to squeeze out a little more performance?

The test is really simple, The request object contains a single integer, the response object contains 3 decimals. This is what is being used for both the WCF test and the ServiceStack test.

Regards,
Brett

Brett Skinner

Dec 29, 2014, 7:48:04 AM12/29/14
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Something else I should just add. I am not 100% sure that I have either MessagePack or Protobuff working correctly. I am running wireshark between the server and the client and I can read the payload in plain text and there is a lot of fluff. From my understanding there shouldn't really be much. Here is what I am seeing in the wireshark trace

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:40:43 GMT

Is this just the headers? I am sure that it would be faster if I got rid of all the headers. Is this possible? It is meant for internal use only on a LAN.

Regards,

Kijana Woodard

Dec 29, 2014, 11:41:37 AM12/29/14
to servic...@googlegroups.com
My comment isn't related to ServiceStack specifically, but some limited testing I did indicated that MessagePack did not live up to the marketing on it's home page. The "packed size" was hefty. Protobuf was a clear winner.