Looking for Ideas - Heroku Performance, Caching?

Ryan

Feb 20, 2013, 3:57:37 PM2/20/13
to serve...@googlegroups.com
The serve gem + Heroku has been working very well for us as a way to quickly prototype, deploy and test a design with customers. But because we are on heroku, there are times when it takes a long time to load up the first screen; occasionally the request times out. This isn't ideal in that we like the prototypes to feel fast and responsive when testing with users, so even this initial load time is a little unpleasant when it does occur.

I understand that this is part of the deal with Heroku on the cheap and I'm certainly willing to accept that.  However, I am looking to improve this if possible. If you were going to implement some basic caching (if caching is even a pertinent suggestion in this scenario) or something else to address this load issue, what would you look at doing?

One consideration is that I am not exporting/deploying static files via 'serve export', but deploying the whole serve setup to heroku because we areusing cookies and query strings to conditionally display content.

Thanks!
Ryan

Jess Brown

Feb 20, 2013, 4:10:43 PM2/20/13
to serve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

Focus on step #2, which will lead you to heroku's new relic page.  Follow the rack instructions: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/newrelic#using-new-relic-from-a-rack-app

I haven't done this, but seems worth a try and should work.  Or basically if you can think of any other service that will hit your app at least once per hour ;-) that should do the trick.

Jess Brown
Brown Web Design

Serve Users Group

Ryan

Apr 9, 2013, 12:49:51 PM4/9/13
to serve...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, just a quick reply to say thanks Jess!