Mesh extender 400 Mhz

Claes Giljegard

Jun 4, 2014, 1:46:08 AM6/4/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In Europe i don't think we are allowed to use the 900Mhz ISM band.
There seems to be frequencies around 440 Mhz that could be usable.
Have you come across any radios/modems that could be usable with the MR3020 for this?

/Claes

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Jun 4, 2014, 2:47:54 AM6/4/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You are quite right about the 900MHz band not being available in Europe.  In fact, it is only available in a very few countries.

There are 433MHz versions of radios that could be used in Europe, but the very narrow bandwidth and relatively high utilisation of the spectrum makes this a bit tricky.  Very happy for someone to fund us to add support for these radios, or volunteer to integrate them themselves :)

Paul.

Claes Giljegard

Jun 4, 2014, 4:07:52 PM6/4/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am thinking it should be possible to use radios that are used for telemetry between RC planes and ground station. I found 3DR radios from 3DRobotics. I hope two air modules will talk to eachother. We'll know in a few weeks when the mailman brings the stuff from China...

/Claes

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Claes Giljegard <cl...@giljegard.com> wrote:
Hi,

In Europe i don't think we are allowed to use the 900Mhz ISM band.
There seems to be frequencies around 440 Mhz that could be usable.
Have you come across any radios/modems that could be usable with the MR3020 for this?

/Claes

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Jun 4, 2014, 11:26:09 PM6/4/14

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Claes Giljegard <cl...@giljegard.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am thinking it should be possible to use radios that are used for telemetry between RC planes and ground station. I found 3DR radios from 3DRobotics. I hope two air modules will talk to eachother. We'll know in a few weeks when the mailman brings the stuff from China...

Yes, you are quite right.  The RFD900 is a nicer (and more expensive) version of the 3DR.  The trick is doing point-to-multi-point ad-hoc communications with these radios.

[...]

Steve Gulick

Jul 26, 2014, 12:06:05 AM7/26/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com

Maybe HopeRF's RFM23BP  at 433MHz  and 1 Watt

US distributor http://www.anarduino.com/details.jsp?pid=130  $8.80 US each

I've just ordered 4 of these units to try.

I just discovered the Serval Project today. I am very interested in it and would like to contribute to it - especially the range extender.

I am interested in operation in the  433 MHz band (and lower frequencies) because many of the areas I am interested in are forested and the lower frequencies should have longer range.

Thanks,
Steve

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Jul 28, 2014, 1:36:39 AM7/28/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes, it should be quite possible to integrate those with a mesh extender.   Ulf, also on this list, is thinking about 433MHz solutions.

Paul.