Status of Mesh Extender Code: mesh-extender-builder/gather-image-files

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Apr 5, 2018, 4:08:55 AM4/5/18
to Serval Project Developers
I am using the GL-AR150 in an Extender build

1. I am reading through the code in the gather-image-files script and I notice this in lines 5 and 6:

# Get latest servalmesh.apk
wget -O www/software/android/servalmesh.apk http://developer.servalproject.org/files/beta/Serval_Mesh-0.92-RC5.apk

is there any reason why the script is downloading Serval_Mesh-0.92-RC5.apk instead of the current "stable" version - 0.93?

2. I am in the process of ordering 2 RF900+ radio kits from RFDesign, does one need a particular version of firmware for the radios? I am trying to find documentation on what one needs to do to configure the radios before they are used in an Extender - if at all

TIA

Cheers

Kofi

Jeremy Lakeman

Apr 5, 2018, 4:42:51 AM4/5/18
to Serval Project Developers

Which should be a symlink to the latest release build.

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Apr 6, 2018, 6:54:42 PM4/6/18
to Serval Project Developers
@Jeremy, thanks for the correction.

Could you please confirm if one needs to update the stock  firmware in the RFD 900+ radio before using it in a mesh-extender?
As mentioned earlier I am in the process of building an extender based on the MR3020 design which is substituting the AR-150 for the MR3020

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Kofi Obiri-Yeboah <kofi.obi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using the GL-AR150 in an Extender build

1. I am reading through the code in the gather-image-files script and I notice this in lines 5 and 6:

# Get latest servalmesh.apk
wget -O www/software/android/servalmesh.apk http://developer.servalproject.org/files/beta/Serval_Mesh-0.92-RC5.apk

is there any reason why the script is downloading Serval_Mesh-0.92-RC5.apk instead of the current "stable" version - 0.93?

2. I am in the process of ordering 2 RF900+ radio kits from RFDesign, does one need a particular version of firmware for the radios? I am trying to find documentation on what one needs to do to configure the radios before they are used in an Extender - if at all

TIA

Cheers

Kofi

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Apr 6, 2018, 9:42:03 PM4/6/18
to Serval Project Developers
Hello,

In theory the Mesh Extender firmware will update the firmware on the radio automatically, but we are still working on a couple of bugs with that.
If you kill the lbard process and runlbard process from a Mesh Extender, you can then use the following command from on the Mesh Extender to force the radio to flash:

 flash900 /etc/serval/rfd900 /dev/ttyATH0

Note we are now preparing to have an option to use a LoRa radio on 433, 868 or 915 MHz, so depending on how much of a rush you are in, you could simply wait for the LoRa radio module to become available.  We will hopefully get a sample of these built in the next month or two, if you wanted to order some of them.

Paul

On 7 April 2018 at 08:24, Kofi Obiri-Yeboah <kofi.obi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Apr 7, 2018, 12:33:32 AM4/7/18
to Serval Project Developers
Thanks Paul for the update.

I am glad to read that you are/were considering some Lora radios as a substitute or option for the Mesh extender

Haven played in the field of Lora for a while now, my goal is to understand how the RFDesign radios work in this environment enough to actually see if the RFDesign radio could be substituted with a traditional Lora radio which I have found to be cheaper - especially if you are not targeting a 30 dBm output.

Have you decided on which Lora radio you have in mind? I had ordered 2 RFDesign 900+ radios which are now just clearing the Los Angeles DHL gateway on the  way to Canada. However I would gladly pick up any Lora radio and help in your tests

Thanks to your team for all the efforts you guys are putting into this project - especially the potential educational application

TIA

Cheers

Kofi

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Apr 7, 2018, 2:31:26 AM4/7/18
to Serval Project Developers
Hello,

We are working through the best LoRa solutions, as well as looking at comissioning a fully custom open-source open-hardware modem design, that would be totally optimised for our needs. We really would like to keep 1W TX power, as for rural applications the raw TX power can be needed.  We are also looking at how we can reduce the cost of the whole device, including the radio.

Paul.