Example installations

Greg Ercolano

Aug 14, 2019, 9:12:52 PM8/14/19
to seriss-...@googlegroups.com
This thread is for pictures and notes about actual installations with these "single board KSU" cards. (KSU == Key System Unit)

Here's a pic of my setup, the "single board KSU" being the blue board at the bottom, a REV E board.
I'll describe the circuit below the photo:

The 1A2 phones are seeing two lines here:

    Line 1: Telco / Viking AR-1
    Line 2: Cell phone gateway (XLINK)

So if my cell phone rings, it rings the 1A2 phones on Line 2, so I can answer the call call on any 1A2 phone, put the call on hold
to take another call on the telco Line1 or move to another extension, switch back, etc.

There's also an intercom line on line 5, but I don't use it.

I prefer the "buzz ringing" to the bell ringing, so I left out the ring generator, and just use the built in buzzers in the phones for ringing.

To describe the circuit:

LINE 1
The telco Line 1 comes in first to the Viking AR-1 which presents an auto attendant voice menu for incoming calls.
When a call comes in, the caller dials through the voice menu, and the Viking then rings the 1A2 Line 1 which the KSU passes through
to ring all the 1A2 phone extensions, flashing the Line 1 lamp. If no one takes the call, an answering machine (connected at the lower right)
takes the call.

LINE 2
The cell phone Line 2 comes in first to the XLink (top right of pic) via bluetooth. When a call comes in, the XLink rings Line 2 on the KSU,
and if no one takes the call, the cell phone takes the message.
I can answer cell phone calls on any of the three 1A2 extensions on Line 2, and can also initiate calls using the TouchTone pad on the extensions.
As long as the cell phone is within range of the XLink device, it works fine. This way the extensions can be far away and still answer the cell.

EXTENSIONS
Here there are three extensions connected to the KSU board. A regular Model 2564 is connected to EXT1. Another 2564 is attached to EXT2
In a separate office about 30 feet away. EXT3 is yet another 2564 in a main room/kitchen about 50 feet away. Since that's a long run, I used
two Cat5 network cables to run the 1a2 signals for Line 1 and Line 2 and ringing to that distant phone extension.

The Viking AR-1 is mainly to block robocalls.. but it also lets the user pick different people to talk to, causing distinctive rings on the 1A2 Line 1.
Since this model of my KSU board passes the Viking's distinctive ring cadence, the buzzer gives different patterns of ringing, depending on which
voice menu number the user dialed. I have a caller ID device positioned ahead of the Viking AR-1, which shows who's calling.

Reply if you have questions, or post your own 1A2 KSU setups using this board.