Is Serf deprecated?

David Miles

Nov 26, 2017, 11:46:10 AM11/26/17
to Serf
It looks like the last release was in February, and the discussion on this form has dropped off. I'm working on a project where I wanted to use Serf, but if it's no longer being developed, I'll have to rethink a few things.

Mitchell Hashimoto

Nov 26, 2017, 6:57:23 PM11/26/17
to Serf
Hey David,

Not at all! Serf is a critical component of both Consul and Nomad and so is absolutely maintained and actively improved.

The truth is is that Serf does what it is built to do very very well.

We have known Serf clusters in the dozens of thousands directly (running Serf) and indirectly (running Consul or Nomad). The total number of Consul agents in the world is likely into the millions at this stage, and each agent is running Serf. And earlier this year we published our own research with novel improvements to the underlying gossip protocol, which was 100% implemented in Serf. https://www.hashicorp.com/blog/making-gossip-more-robust-with-lifeguard

Overall, Serf itself is not extremely active because it just… works. We are probably due to cut a new release to get a lot of the networking improvements brought in, though!

It is a very safe choice to use.

Best,
Mitchell

On Nov 26, 2017, 8:46 AM -0800, David Miles <davev...@gmail.com>, wrote:
It looks like the last release was in February, and the discussion on this form has dropped off. I'm working on a project where I wanted to use Serf, but if it's no longer being developed, I'll have to rethink a few things.

GitHub Issues: https://github.com/hashicorp/serf/issues
IRC: #serfdom on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Serf" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/serfdom/81f6c58d-ca41-4be9-a3d3-2783a968980c%40googlegroups.com.

David Miles

Dec 10, 2017, 3:54:44 PM12/10/17
to Serf
Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. I've used Serf successfully in the past because, as you said, it "just works." So, I will continue to use it. :)

Thanks, again.

-Dave