DRAFT: resolution to create Serf @ ASF

Greg Stein

Aug 12, 2015, 6:31:28 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
    F. Establish the Apache Serf Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
       public, related to HTTP and associated protocols.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Serf Project", be
       and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Serf Project be and hereby is
       related to composite oriented programming; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Serf" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve
       at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
       Apache Serf Project, and to have primary responsibility for
       management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
       of the Apache Serf Project; and be it further

       Apache Serf Project:

         Justin Erenkrantz <jeren...@apache.org>
         Roy Fielding <fiel...@apache.org>
         Lieven Govaerts <l...@apache.org>
         Bert Huijben <rhui...@apache.org>
         Jim Jagielski <j...@apache.org>
         C. Michael Pilato <cmpi...@apache.org>
         Paul Querna <pqu...@apache.org>
         Daniel Rall <d...@apache.org>
         Ben Reser <bre...@apache.org>
         Garrett Rooney <roo...@apache.org>
         Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>
         Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
         Andreas Stieger <asti...@apache.org>
         Ivan Zhakov <iv...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ???
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Serf, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or
       until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Serf Project be and hereby
       is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Serf Project.

Greg Stein

Aug 12, 2015, 6:31:54 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
I'll contact each person on the list, to see if they want to be on the PMC.

Greg Stein

Aug 12, 2015, 6:51:30 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Oh, to be clear: assuming no other solutions, then we'll be on the board's agenda Wednesday next week.

C. Michael Pilato

Aug 12, 2015, 8:28:08 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

Are you volunteering for the VP spot?  (+1 from me if that's the case.)

-- Mike

C. Michael Pilato

Aug 12, 2015, 8:30:00 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Just saw in another thread that Bert might be interested in the VP spot.  Again, sounds good to me.

Greg Stein

Aug 12, 2015, 8:30:14 PM8/12/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
I will do it, if necessary, but other-thread looks like Bert has volunteered. If we have multiple volunteers, then we'll just do a quick vote/selection.

Lieven Govaerts

Aug 15, 2015, 6:36:15 AM8/15/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Assuming we're not actually gonna need and thus write any bylaws, the
rest of the text looks good to me.
Remember to fill in the VP name, or Bert's gonna have to change his
name to '???'. :)
Lieven

Greg Stein

Aug 15, 2015, 6:57:46 AM8/15/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com

Hahaha! Yeah, that'll get fixed, assuming nobody else throws in their hat. I've already fixed para 3 in my local text.

And only psycho PMCs write bylaws. We'll be fine without.

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein

Aug 17, 2015, 5:22:19 AM8/17/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
A few people dropped, para 3 fixed, and added to the ASF's Board meeting agenda for Wednesday. I expect no problems with them passing it, given 10 Members and 3 ex-Chairmen :-P

Greg Stein

Aug 19, 2015, 2:52:57 PM8/19/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Resolution passed.

Time to get moving ... I'll dig up an INFRA Jira that Zest used to move their project into the ASF. IIRC, it contains all the requests to get the basics set up for us.

We probably have a couple things to decide. Offhand, Jira vs Bugzilla. Or to go really far: ask the Bloodhound or Allura guys to set up a server for us :-P

Bert Huijben

Aug 19, 2015, 3:35:22 PM8/19/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com

Re: resolution. 100% as expected :-)

I used bugzilla over a decade ago and I only remember that it didn’t work in a way that I liked. My experience with Jira is a bit better. (No experience with Bloodhound and Allura)

Setting up the mailing lists and some initial website are in that old INFRA Jira?

It looks like the serf history starts with quite a few placeholder revisions, and then an initial commit

[[

r167 | gstein | 2004-08-11 06:49:19 +0200 (wo, 11 aug 2004) | 8 lines

Changed paths:

   A /trunk

   A /trunk/Makefile

   A /trunk/STATUS

   A /trunk/buckets

   A /trunk/buckets/aggregate_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/file_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/mmap_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/request_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/response_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/simple_buckets.c

   A /trunk/buckets/socket_buckets.c

   A /trunk/context.c

   A /trunk/design-guide.txt

   A /trunk/serf.h

   A /trunk/serf_bucket_types.h

   A /trunk/serf_bucket_util.h

   A /trunk/serf_declare.h

   A /trunk/svn-commit.tmp

   A /trunk/test

   A /trunk/test/serf_get.c

Import the latest development version of serf. This code was initially

developed at the ASF by Justin Erenkrantz and Greg Stein.

This copy comes from:

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/serf/branches/gen2

    revision 36203

]]

Do we want to connect history back there?

                Bert

Justin Erenkrantz

Aug 19, 2015, 5:24:19 PM8/19/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com

I am +1 for JIRA (as much as it pains me to say that).

I would be okay reordering revs - thought there was a script that someone wrote to adjust log entries based on offset.  If we can't, oh well.

Cheers.  -- justin

Ivan Zhakov

Aug 20, 2015, 3:46:47 AM8/20/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com, Bert Huijben
On 20 August 2015 at 00:24, Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> I am +1 for JIRA (as much as it pains me to say that).

I also vote for JIRA.

> I would be okay reordering revs - thought there was a script that someone
> wrote to adjust log entries based on offset. If we can't, oh well.

I thought Bert proposed to resurect old history and load serf
repository into it. Isn't it?

--
Ivan Zhakov

Bert Huijben

Aug 21, 2015, 5:17:49 AM8/21/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com, Greg Stein

                Hi Greg,

Is this the issue you were looking for: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEST-1 ?

                Bert

Aug 21, 2015, 8:18:33 AM8/21/15
to Bert Huijben, serf...@googlegroups.com
INFRA-9333, INFRA-9296, INFRA-9297, INFRA-9983, etc.  (search for [INFRA zest] )