Fwd: From Serf to Apache Serf

Lieven Govaerts

Aug 22, 2015, 11:06:35 AM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

so since Wednesday we are officially an Apache project .Nice!

We only have 3 days before googlecode goes read-only, and there's a
1.4.0 release that wants to be made (in the coming weeks), so I
propose we start migrating to ASF infra asap.

This is the list of things we need to do (possibly incomplete), I
guess we need a volunteer for each of those to get it done.

1. Infrastructure:
a. website: http;//serf.apache/org
b. CMS for the website + svnpubsub service
c. svn repository (+ automatic github mirror via the automatic git clone)
d. issue tracker: CHOOSE one of Bugzilla or Jira
e. mailing lists: dev serf-dev and serf-private at the minimum
f. a location to store our release source tarballs
g. add http://serf.apache.org to asf-wide website

2. PMC/general:
a. all the admin necessary to set up the PMC
b. account management, access rights, mailing lists memberships ...
c. Prepare for first report in Sept
d. Handover of code to ASF
Does anything more than changing the copyright headers needs
to be done for this one?
Greg/Justin send in Software Grant doc?
e. Update all uses of serf to Apache Serf on website/documentation
f. Go over the bullets of and see where we have to fix/improve:
https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
(example: we should document a procedure to report security issues)

3. Create our new home page at http://serf.apache.org

4. Migrate the svn source code from googlecode to svn.apache.org
Linking the g.c. serf code history back to the original serf
branch in the as repo would be nice...
... but for me not strictly needed, as I personally haven't missed
this history link.

a. Send a mail to the current mailing list that it will migrate
Invite people to subscribe to the new mailing list @ as
b. Make the current mailing list read only

6. Migrate the issues from the g.c. issue tracker to Jira/Bugzilla
a. Close old/obsolete issues
b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
in a test repo. See also:
Bugzilla?
c. Enable notifications from the issue tracker to serf-dev

7. Migrate release tarballs
a. Upload old releases to the new asf location
b. Mark them as non-ASF
c. Update serf.googlecode.com to point to our new location
(before the 25th, so we should probably have a placeholder at
serf.apache.org asap)

8. Communication to our users of our new location
a. we should probably mail svn-dev/openoffice-dev
b. update google/bing/... with the location of the new serf homepage

Pfew, this is a long list already. Did I forgot anything?

I can take on some of these, volunteers are welcome. :)

Lieven

Bert Huijben

Aug 22, 2015, 12:07:28 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
I was assuming Greg would contact infra to get us started after his Wednesday mail, but I couldn't find anything on the tracker.

It looks like infra only allows creating requests via standard forms these days (instead of via the usual Jira interface). I created issues
https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-10176 (Parent issue)
and https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-10177 (DNS specific issue)
earlier today.

I'm waiting for somebody to reply, contact us for further steps.

I think your list is pretty complete.

Most of the foundation admin stuff to setup the project and PMC is complete, but as far as I can tell nothing happened on the infra side yet.

Bert

Ivan Zhakov

Aug 22, 2015, 12:44:23 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com, l...@mobsol.be
On 22 August 2015 at 18:06, Lieven Govaerts <l...@mobsol.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so since Wednesday we are officially an Apache project .Nice!

Cool!

> We only have 3 days before googlecode goes read-only, and there's a
> 1.4.0 release that wants to be made (in the coming weeks), so I
> propose we start migrating to ASF infra asap.

I'm not sure that making 1.4.0 release and migration to ASF infra at
the same time is a good idea. I suggest to make 1.4.0 release *after*
we migrate to ASF.

> This is the list of things we need to do (possibly incomplete), I
> guess we need a volunteer for each of those to get it done.
>
> 1. Infrastructure:
> a. website: http;//serf.apache/org
> b. CMS for the website + svnpubsub service
I'm volunteer to create some basic Bootstrap-based website for Apache
Serf if it sounds like good idea.

> c. svn repository (+ automatic github mirror via the automatic git clone)
> d. issue tracker: CHOOSE one of Bugzilla or Jira
I'm +1 for Jira.
Why do we need to close old/obsolete issues? I prefer to migrate them as is.

> b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
> Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
> in a test repo. See also:
> Bugzilla?
I've some experience with migration to Jira using json importer and
could perform this migration if we choose Jira as issue tracker for
Serf.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Greg Stein

Aug 22, 2015, 2:29:20 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I can't help much right away. In about 16 hours, I'm hopping on a plane for a long long flight. And yes, I was leaving it to you Bert ... seemed you were on a roll :-)

It looks like we want Jira (it sucks the less than Bugzilla). If somebody wants to try an import ... cool. Worst case, we can open new tickets, pointing to Google Code (the link will work for a while).

I'll update the project home page on Google, to point to our new resources at Apache (or where they'll end up, at least). I've got about a half dozen projects on G.C. where I need to leave pointers (and get moved, in some way).

Agree on just two lists: dev@ and private@. svn commits and Jira changes can go to dev@ like we have today. It seems we aren't high enough traffic that everybody has been okay with that. We could always have issues@ and commits@, in the future.

Cheers,
-g

Lieven Govaerts

Aug 22, 2015, 3:09:08 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
> On 22 August 2015 at 18:06, Lieven Govaerts <l...@mobsol.be> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> so since Wednesday we are officially an Apache project .Nice!
>>
> Cool!
>
>> We only have 3 days before googlecode goes read-only, and there's a
>> 1.4.0 release that wants to be made (in the coming weeks), so I
>> propose we start migrating to ASF infra asap.
>>
> I'm not sure that making 1.4.0 release and migration to ASF infra at
> the same time is a good idea. I suggest to make 1.4.0 release *after*
> we migrate to ASF.

Agreed, I was just using a 1.4.0 release in the near future as reason
to migrate to ASF asap.

>> This is the list of things we need to do (possibly incomplete), I
>> guess we need a volunteer for each of those to get it done.
>>
>> 1. Infrastructure:
>> a. website: http;//serf.apache/org
>> b. CMS for the website + svnpubsub service
> I'm volunteer to create some basic Bootstrap-based website for Apache
> Serf if it sounds like good idea.

Yes, it does. :)

>> c. svn repository (+ automatic github mirror via the automatic git clone)
>> d. issue tracker: CHOOSE one of Bugzilla or Jira
> I'm +1 for Jira.

Given the choice between bugzilla and Jira, I also prefer Jira.
I (also) like us to migrate all issues, even closed ones. This just
seemed like a good time to check the oldest issues and close them (as
resolved or won't fix).

>> b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
>> Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
>> in a test repo. See also:
>> Bugzilla?
> I've some experience with migration to Jira using json importer and
> could perform this migration if we choose Jira as issue tracker for
> Serf.

Cool. It seems like quite some work though.

>> c. Enable notifications from the issue tracker to serf-dev
>>
>> 7. Migrate release tarballs
>> a. Upload old releases to the new asf location
>> b. Mark them as non-ASF
>> c. Update serf.googlecode.com to point to our new location
>> (before the 25th, so we should probably have a placeholder at
>> serf.apache.org asap)
>>
>> 8. Communication to our users of our new location
>> a. we should probably mail svn-dev/openoffice-dev
>> b. update google/bing/... with the location of the new serf homepage
>>

>> Pfew, this is a long list already. Did I forgot anything?
>>
>> I can take on some of these, volunteers are welcome. :)
>>

> --
> Ivan Zhakov

Ivan Zhakov

Aug 22, 2015, 3:26:39 PM8/22/15
On 22 August 2015 at 22:08, Lieven Govaerts <l...@mobsol.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
>> On 22 August 2015 at 18:06, Lieven Govaerts <l...@mobsol.be> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> so since Wednesday we are officially an Apache project .Nice!
>>>
>> Cool!
>>
>>> We only have 3 days before googlecode goes read-only, and there's a
>>> 1.4.0 release that wants to be made (in the coming weeks), so I
>>> propose we start migrating to ASF infra asap.
>>>
>> I'm not sure that making 1.4.0 release and migration to ASF infra at
>> the same time is a good idea. I suggest to make 1.4.0 release *after*
>> we migrate to ASF.
>
> Agreed, I was just using a 1.4.0 release in the near future as reason
> to migrate to ASF asap.
>
>>> This is the list of things we need to do (possibly incomplete), I
>>> guess we need a volunteer for each of those to get it done.
>>>
>>> 1. Infrastructure:
>>> a. website: http;//serf.apache/org
>>> b. CMS for the website + svnpubsub service
>> I'm volunteer to create some basic Bootstrap-based website for Apache
>> Serf if it sounds like good idea.
>
> Yes, it does. :)

Ok.

>>> b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
>>> Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
>>> in a test repo. See also:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9954
>>> Bugzilla?
>> I've some experience with migration to Jira using json importer and
>> could perform this migration if we choose Jira as issue tracker for
>> Serf.
>
> Cool. It seems like quite some work though.

It seems only that only Project Owners may use Google Takeout to
export Google Code issues in JSON format. Could you please try to
export it?

--
Ivan Zhakov

Lieven Govaerts

Aug 22, 2015, 3:40:31 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
Nah, fixed your access rights problem instead. :)

> --
> Ivan Zhakov

Greg Stein

Aug 22, 2015, 4:10:11 PM8/22/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Lieven Govaerts <l...@mobsol.be> wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
>> This is the list of things we need to do (possibly incomplete), I
>> guess we need a volunteer for each of those to get it done.
>>
>> 1. Infrastructure:
>>     a. website: http;//serf.apache/org
>>     b. CMS for the website + svnpubsub service

I don't know if Infra is supporting CMS any more. We may need to stick to plain HTML.

> I'm volunteer to create some basic Bootstrap-based website for Apache
> Serf if it sounds like good idea.

Yes, it does. :)

Agreed.   <3 Bootstrap.

>> 2. PMC/general:
>>     a. all the admin necessary to set up the PMC
>>     b. account management, access rights, mailing lists memberships ...

Access rights: I'd like to suggest we go with "universal commit" on our svn repository, just like svn. That allows any ASF committer to apply their patch, after they get the right social permission. ie. no tech controls, just social.

>>     c. Prepare for first report in Sept
>>     d. Handover of code to ASF
>>         Does anything more than changing the copyright headers needs
>> to be done for this one?

Just switch to the standard header. Easy peasy.

>>         Greg/Justin send in Software Grant doc?

Nothing needs to be done. Since every commit has been from people with an ICLA on file, then they already have a license to each of those commits. I will file a "short form IP clearance" when I can.

secu...@apache.org rather than our own list. Subversion switched from its own over to security@, and that seems to have worked great.

>> 3. Create our new home page at http://serf.apache.org
>>
>> 4. Migrate the svn source code from googlecode to svn.apache.org
>>     Linking the g.c. serf code history back to the original serf
>> branch in the as repo would be nice...
>>     ... but for me not strictly needed, as I personally haven't missed
>> this history link.

I don't really know what is involved in that stitching together. If somebody knows how to do it (CMike?), then great. But we'll at least have a log message to same-repos ancient history.

I don't know about read only. If we can set up a reject message, then okay. At a minimum, we can change the footer and tell people to start using d...@serf.a.o.

>>     b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
>>         Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
>> in a test repo. See also:
>>          https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9954
>>        Bugzilla?
> I've some experience with migration to Jira using json importer and
> could perform this migration if we choose Jira as issue tracker for
> Serf.

Sweet.

>> 7. Migrate release tarballs
>>     a. Upload old releases to the new asf location

Old releases are allowed to go onto archive.apache.org. Our current release is allowed to be on dist.a.o, too (where it'll get mirrored into archive.a.o).

>>     b. Mark them as non-ASF
>>     c. Update serf.googlecode.com to point to our new location
>>        (before the 25th, so we should probably have a placeholder at
>> serf.apache.org asap)

I'll take care of (c) today.

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein

Aug 23, 2015, 4:58:19 AM8/23/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Zhakov
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
> 6. Migrate the issues from the g.c. issue tracker to Jira/Bugzilla
>     a. Close old/obsolete issues
Why do we need to close old/obsolete issues? I prefer to migrate them as is.

>     b. Export from g.c. and import in Jira seems not possible directly.
>         Alternative: use g.c. json, transform it to lira json, import
> in a test repo. See also:
>          https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9954
>        Bugzilla?
I've some experience with migration to Jira using json importer and
could perform this migration if we choose Jira as issue tracker for
Serf.

Cheers,
-g

Bert Huijben

Aug 24, 2015, 12:07:09 PM8/24/15
to serf...@googlegroups.com, l...@mobsol.be

What kind of site should I request?
* CMS
Or
* SvnPubSub?

DNS has been updated. The mailinglists are created and should work once the DNS change is fully propagated.

Bert

Ivan Zhakov

Aug 25, 2015, 4:59:12 AM8/25/15
to Greg Stein, serf...@googlegroups.com