New Serchilo: Beta Starts today

Georg Jaehnig

Apr 21, 2015, 11:05:58 AM4/21/15
to serc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the new Serchilo version is almost there, now the Beta phase starts.
What changed to the current version:

__ Everyone Can Edit __

As announced earlier [1], this is the most important change: Everyone
can edit everything: Add freely examples, tags, adjust the title.
Those edits will pass without any moderation. You can also make
changes to keyword, url and namespace of site shortcuts but they must
be approved by a moderator.

Although, you can add new site shortcuts and edit their URLs freely
within the first 30 minutes of creation (for instance to fix it until
it works properly). See the moderation policy for details [2].

__ New Feature: Dates and Cities __

Shortcut arguments can be typed now. There are currently two available
types: 'date' and 'city'. With these, you can for example call the
"Busliniensuche.de" [3] like this:

bls b, hh, +1

This will search for bus connections from Berlin to Hamburg leaving tomorrow.

The first 2 arguments expect a city. You can use German vehicle
registration codes for the city names. To map a city in another
country, prefix its country code:

bls at.w, pl.w, +3

This will search for connections from Vienna to Warsaw.

The last argument is a date. You can use a relative date like +3,
matching today plus 3 days.

Both types are also already used at "Deutsche Bahn Fahrplanauskunft"
[4]. Read the full documentation about types here [5].

__ New Name: FindFind.it __

To try the beta, go to http://www.findfind.it/ – yes, this will the
new name of the running Serchilo instance (the software itself will be
still called Serchilo). I decided for a name switch because I had
always problems when communicating the name and URL before. People
never could guess the correct spelling. FindFind.it will hopefully be
easier.

I am not super-decided yet about the new name, if you have some
remarks or better naming suggestions, feel free to tell me.

__ Beware: Your Beta Edits Will Be Gone __

My current plan is to run this beta for 1 or 2 weeks, depending on how
many problems we will find. After that, the actual switch will be done
by reinstalling the FindFind.it instance. This means that all edits
made during the beta phase will be gone.

But the URL will remain. ;) So you can change you're browser settings
now to the new template URL, which might be one of these

http://www.findfind.it/n/de.deu?query=%s
http://www.findfind.it/n/en.deu?query=%s
http://www.findfind.it/u/[yourusername]?query=%s

(If you need, here are the docs on browser integration [6].)

For any remarks, reply to this mail or write a Github issue [7].

Cheers,
Georg

P.S.: There is also a blog post on this, if you like to share it:
https://serchilo.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/new-beta-starts-today/

[1] https://serchilo.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/serchilo-goes-open-source/
[2] http://www.findfind.it/help/editing
[3] http://www.findfind.it/shortcuts/4394/busliniensuche-de