Android App 0.1 (experimental)

Georg Jaehnig

Aug 28, 2015, 1:27:35 PM8/28/15
to serc...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

So here it is: a first, experimental version of an Android app for FindFind.it.

Install:

- Go to https://www.findfind.it/app/android
- Download version 0.1
- Click on the downloaded file
- Allow install from an unknown source
- open the app

What it does:

- opens up an input field with automatically enabled soft keyboard
- remembers 5 recent keywords (can be reused with a single tap)
- recent keywords can be deleted with a long tap
- In the settings, allows to specify user name or language/country namespaces
(If user name is given, settings for this user from findfind.it will be used.)
- Fetches the Shortcut URL by the API to the app, the app sends then
an intent. This means that calling for instance "gm berlin" lets you
directly open the Google Maps app, without a detour via the web
browser.

What it does not (yet):

- Suggestions. Before implementing them, I prefer to have a
conversation about how they shall look like (collapsing overlay like
on the website, defined area below with recent keywords removed ...
etc.) And is this the most missing feature right now? Or maybe
something else?

In short, the app is not ready for the app store now. But it already
makes searches on the Android device easier. I'm happy to hear some
feedback, via mail or in the issues:
https://github.com/georgjaehnig/serchilo-android/issues

Cheers and enjoy the weekend,
--
Georg | http://www.findfind.it - search with shortcuts

Kilian Evang

Aug 29, 2015, 7:20:36 PM8/29/15
to Serchilo
This is very useful, especially seeing as mobile Chrome doesn't support custom search engines. Thanks a bunch!

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 7:27:35 PM UTC+2, Georg Jaehnig wrote:
- Suggestions. Before implementing them, I prefer to have a
conversation about how they shall look like (collapsing overlay like
on the website, defined area below with recent keywords removed ...
etc.) And is this the most missing feature right now? Or maybe
something else?

No strong opinion here. I'm not missing anything, not even suggestions since I rarely use them. I think either of the looks you describe is fine.