Re: Development of an Ansible role to automate the deployment of SequenceServer

Yannick Wurm

Feb 4, 2021, 9:02:41 AM2/4/21
to Loraine Guéguen, Anurag Priyam, corre erwan, Gildas Le Corguillé, sequenc...@googlegroups.com
Wow - C'est superbe -  bravo Loraine, Gildas et Erwan!

My experience of ansible is limited - it sounds like this can be indeed be very useful for automating deployment

Cheers!

Yannick

-----
Yannick Wurm  - http://wurmlab.com
Reader in Bioinformatics, Queen Mary University of London
Fellow, Alan Turing Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence

Genomic diagnostics for improving pollinator health: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2019.12.012
Conflict and neutrality in the fire ant social supergene: https://elifesciences.org/articles/55862
Sequenceserver 2.0 for simple & powerful BLAST visualisation: http://sequenceserver.com

On 4 Feb 2021, at 12:04, Loraine Guéguen <loraine...@sb-roscoff.fr> wrote:

Dear Yannick and Priyam,

We deployed SequenceServer on our infrastructure, with jobs submitted to our SLURM HPC cluster. Initially deployed in version 1.0.x, a few months ago we moved to version 2.0.0rcx because the fasta files download limit of 30 hits was critical for our users. It works well and quickly! Thanks again for this great tool! We now plan to migrate our ~10 legacy wwwblast BLAST servers to SequenceServer.

To automate the installation of SequenceServer and the deployment of several BLAST servers, I developed an Ansible role:

- This role installs and manages several instances of SequenceServer (v2.0) on CentOS7 or Ubuntu18.

- BLAST jobs are submitted on a SLURM HPC cluster.

- The multiple BLAST servers are reverse-proxied with NGINX and restricted access can be configured for private servers, by querying an ldap server.

- The SequenceServer interface can be minimaly customized (logo, title, support link).

The Ansible role is available on the Ansible Galaxy: https://galaxy.ansible.com/abims_sbr/sequenceserver. You can find more information on the Github repository https://github.com/abims-sbr/ansible-sequenceserver

Hopefully this role can be useful to others!

As previously mentioned, we now wish to have functionalities on the user interface to facilitate database browsing (group databases by categories or phylogeny). Please let me know if you have new elements on this subject!

Regards,

Loraine Guéguen

--

Loraine Guéguen

UMR8227 LBI2M (Laboratory of Integrative Biology of Marine Models)
Plateforme ABiMS (Analyses and Bioinformatics for Marine Sciences)

Station Biologique de Roscoff - CNRS | Sorbonne Université
Place Georges Teissier - CS 90074
29688 Roscoff cedex
tel: ++33 (0)2 98 29 56 46 (interne : 415)
http://www.sb-roscoff.fr/en/laboratory-integrative-biology-marine-models
http://abims.sb-roscoff.fr/