Missing Feature: sha256 mysql passwords

John Smilanick

Feb 26, 2016, 3:34:01 PM2/26/16
to Sequel Pro
We have a requirement for high security standards and have tested updating mysql to use SSL with sh256 passwords, but it looks like Sequel Pro does not support the sha256 password configuration. We get the following error in a sheet modal:

Unable to connect to host [REDACTED], or the request timed out.

Be sure that the address is correct and that you have the necessary privileges, or try increasing the connection timeout (currently 10 seconds).

MySQL said: Authentication plugin 'sha256_password' cannot be loaded: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/plugin/sha256_password.so, 2): image not found

Mysql command line does work so we know it is not a server misconfiguration. Is there any chance this can be added to a future release?

-John

TheDO

Feb 26, 2016, 3:50:33 PM2/26/16
to Sequel Pro
The path to the plugin appears to be the default system installation? Have you tried to use Homebrew to update that, or MacPorts to install a newer overriding version? This doesn't appear to be within Sequel Pro's path, at first glance. I could be wrong about this, just a first impression.

John Smilanick

Feb 29, 2016, 1:50:18 PM2/29/16
to Sequel Pro
I tried updating my local mysql to 5.7.10 without luck. After thorough googling, I found no information on how to generate that file. The only thing that hints to the right direction is this post https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2013-August/010185.html, which states "Furthermore, sha256_password.so is imaginary. The sha256_password plugin is part of the client library; it's not a separate module."

My best guess is that a newer version of libmysqlclient.a is needed.