Not seeing how some export options are going to work...

Dave Cly

Feb 11, 2019, 6:03:51 PM2/11/19
to Sequel Pro
On Mac, in File > Export options, some things I can't tell what exactly they're going to do, and if I'm going to be making backups and restore them, it might change the table to something that isn't an actual restore but different due to the export.

For instance, I don't know why "Auto increment value" is unchecked by default in the Export options, nor what exactly it does to the export nor how it will change the database schema when imported (MySQL 5.x).

I'm not finding anything online about this, and Sequel Pro's docs are woefully inadequate or contain broken links.

Michel Maybon

Feb 19, 2019, 11:10:25 AM2/19/19
to seque...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
"Auto increment value":
Look at a CREATE statement in your export file. If the option is checked, it add the next value to use for your auto increment field, after the engine choice.
I suppose it is unchecked by default because usually you don't want to change this value at import time, so you don't need the info.

Larry Spencer

Feb 19, 2019, 4:02:41 PM2/19/19
to Sequel Pro

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-7, Dave Cly wrote:
For instance, I don't know why "Auto increment value" is unchecked by default in the Export options, nor what exactly it does to the export nor how it will change the database schema when imported (MySQL 5.x).

Consider this example.

If you're exporting in order to back up your database, then you would want to export the auto increment value so it will have the same value if you ever have to re-create your database.

Whereas, if you're exporting in order to import the data into some other existing database, then you would not want to export the auto increment value because it might duplicate existing values in that database. You would want a fresh value to be generated when you import this data.