MySQL said: The storage engine for the table doesn't support nullable columns

Ryan O'Donnell

Jul 16, 2013, 12:59:43 AM7/16/13
to seque...@googlegroups.com
I've been using SequelPro and loving it for the past five months or so -- but recently, I've started getting the error "MySQL said: The storage engine for the table doesn't support nullable columns" literally every time I try to import a new table (from a .csv); doesn't matter the size, headers, database, etc. I get the error no matter what. Does anybody have any idea why and what I can do to make it go back to importing .csv files the way it was about a week ago for me?

It does work fine if I use the error as the SQL code to create the table, then import the data into the existing table -- strangely enough. For example, if this is the error:

An error occurred while trying to add the new table 'test' by

CREATE TABLE `test` (
`ID` BIGINT(11),
`FIRST` VARCHAR(255),
`MIDDLE` VARCHAR(255),
`LAST` VARCHAR(255),
`SUFFIX` VARCHAR(255),
`GENDER` VARCHAR(255),
`ADDRESS LINE 1` VARCHAR(255),
`CITY` VARCHAR(255),
`STATE` VARCHAR(255),
`ZIP` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING ADDRESS LINE 1` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING CITY` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING STATE` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING ZIP` VARCHAR(255),
`HOME PHONE` VARCHAR(255),
`PHONE` VARCHAR(255),
`SORT` INT(11),
`POSSIBLEADD` VARCHAR(255),
`X` VARCHAR(255)) ENGINE=CSV.

MySQL said: The storage engine for the table doesn't support nullable columns

It works fine if I copy and paste the error (sans "ENGINE=CSV) as SQL code to create the table; it gets created exactly how I wanted:

CREATE TABLE `test` (
`ID` BIGINT(11),
`FIRST` VARCHAR(255),
`MIDDLE` VARCHAR(255),
`LAST` VARCHAR(255),
`SUFFIX` VARCHAR(255),
`GENDER` VARCHAR(255),
`ADDRESS LINE 1` VARCHAR(255),
`CITY` VARCHAR(255),
`STATE` VARCHAR(255),
`ZIP` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING ADDRESS LINE 1` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING CITY` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING STATE` VARCHAR(255),
`MAILING ZIP` VARCHAR(255),
`HOME PHONE` VARCHAR(255),
`PHONE` VARCHAR(255),
`SORT` INT(11),
`POSSIBLEADD` VARCHAR(255),
`X` VARCHAR(255));

Then I can import my .csv data directly into the 'test' table by matching column headers with no problem. So my work around's fine -- it's just really annoying.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Rowan Beentje

Jul 16, 2013, 7:58:10 AM7/16/13
to seque...@googlegroups.com, Ryan O'Donnell
Hi Ryan,

The table type used when it creates the new table should use the server default if you haven't changed it, which rarely defaults to CSV. But if you click the little Info button next to the new table name field on the CSV mapping dialog, you can change the table type it will create; it remembers the last choice you made, so it *could* be that you selected CSV in the past and forgot to change it back on future imports?

Hope that helps,
Rowan

Ryan O'Donnell

Jul 16, 2013, 3:13:59 PM7/16/13