Seeking advice on a sequence as a newbie.

57 views
Skip to first unread message

Om Yadav

unread,
Sep 28, 2026, 6:25:43 PM (12 days ago) Sep 28
to seq...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am Om S. M. Yadav, Pune, India. I’m pursuing an honours degree in physics and I am not a mathematician. Though the primes and number sequences interest me a lot. I’m a contributor of 2 sequences A383938 and A400132 so far.
I wish to seek advice over another sequence. I’d like to know if it’s worth editors’ time to be reviewed. Apologies if the sequence feels gibberish and was waste of readers time and also for amateur wording and terminologies.

The sequence: Start with 0. We subtract it from corresponding steps ahead of it,

0(0-0)

We then introduce the next term, that is, 1.

0, 1

We subtract 1 from number that’s 1 step ahead whilst introducing equivalent term/s (number that’s 1 step ahead of 1 is 2.)

0, 1, 1(2-1)

As the latest term is 1 again, we subtract 1 from the number that’s 1 step ahead of previously introduced number (i.e. 3, remember we introduced 2 before). Therefore the sequence will be,

0, 1, 1, 2(3-1)

We now subtract 2 from the number that’s 2 steps ahead of 3,

0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 3(5-2)

And so on… If steps > 1, we also include the terms in between (here, 4.)

The sequence would look something like,
0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 3, 6, 7, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 8,…

Good day.

Kind regards,
Om S. M. Yadav



Geoffrey Caveney

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 9:33:52 AM (11 days ago) Sep 29
to seq...@googlegroups.com
After the first few terms, your sequence is the natural numbers, but with each Fibonacci number replaced by the preceding Fibonacci number.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeqFan" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seqfan+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seqfan/CA%2BeBQYqO-ToMspVRSyUY%3DWCboE8yXT24wuM_o%3DVN9GzsKCMnmA%40mail.gmail.com.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 10:22:56 AM (11 days ago) Sep 29
to seq...@googlegroups.com
Why is the 8th term 5 and not 1?
Let a(n) be the current value of the nth entry in the sequence.
To begin with, a(8) =8.
When we get to n=4, we subtract 4 from a(4+4), so a(8) becomes 4.
Then a(5)=3, so subtract 3 from a(5+3): a(8) becomes 1.

Have I misunderstood?


Om Yadav

unread,
Sep 30, 2026, 9:50:23 AM (10 days ago) Sep 30
to seq...@googlegroups.com
Oh, so the actual logic of this sequence is what you said. Even though I didn’t introduce Fibonacci numbers, the logic I used ultimately says what you said so. Thanks a lot and apologies for delayed reply.

Om Yadav

unread,
Sep 30, 2026, 9:50:27 AM (10 days ago) Sep 30
to seq...@googlegroups.com
Previous term a(5) is 3(5-2), so we subtract 3 from the number that’s 3 steps ahead of original number, that is 5. So 8-3 = 5. I hope this helps. Apologies for delayed reply.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages