Sample-based area estimation

Dodou Trawally

May 27, 2024, 2:25:10 PMMay 27
to sepal...@googlegroups.com
Dear SEPAL users,

I have classified an image for sampled-based area estimation. I need support with the following issues:
  1. the classification results (AOI) is split into two sub images, which means I need to recombine them into a unit AOI in order to use the image in the SAE-Design window.
    1. Questions:
      1. How can this splitting be avoided in the first instance?
      2. If the splitting cannot be avoided, is there a tool in SEPAL that can recombine the two images?
  2. I attempted working with the bigger of the two images cited above in the SAE-Design window but realised the following issues with the 'Strata areas' window
    1. only the 'OFT' option is available not 'R' as given in the documentation
      1. Question: Why is the option for using 'R' not available?
    2. when i run the 'Area calculation and legend generation' button, it gives the error: 'gdalinfo missing'
      1. Question: What is the cause of this error and how can it be resolved if it is not due to using only a part of the AOI as explained above
It will be very helpful to have some quick responses.

Best regards,

Dodou

Dodou Trawally

May 28, 2024, 4:59:41 AMMay 28
to sepal...@googlegroups.com
Dear SEPAL Users,

The error message in my earlier message should have read: 'could not find function "gdalinfo" and not 'gdalinfo missing'.

Best regards,

Dodou

Amit Ghosh

May 28, 2024, 4:59:50 AMMay 28
to Dodou Trawally, sepal...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dodou,
The classification recipe relies on the Google Earth Engine API. When exporting a large AOI, the results are divided into multiple small tiles. Additionally, the recipe produces a virtual raster that can be conveniently used in the SAE-Design App to analyse the two images you have.
Another option is to utilise gdal_translate for merging these images:
These steps are necessary to accomplish that:
  • Open the terminal
  • cd to the download folder where you have these images
cd download/<CLASSIF name>
  • run the following gdal command
gdal_translate -of GTiff <CLASSIF name>_<gee tile id>.vrt <merged_output>.tif

OFT is available  on SEPAL due to its faster performance compared to the R-based alternative. The reason for the 'gdalinfo missing' error is because the R legacy spatial libraries, which the SAE is built on, were discontinued on Nov 23. The app needs to be updated.

Best,
Amit
--

Amit Ghosh,
Geospatial expert,

Dodou Trawally

May 30, 2024, 11:07:19 AMMay 30
to Amit Ghosh, sepal...@googlegroups.com
Dear Amit,

Thank you for the prompt response. I will follow the instructions and let you know if necessary.

Best regards,

Dodou