GEE Changes that affect your SEPAL functionality

Erik Lindquist

Jun 21, 2024, 8:48:39 AM (11 days ago) Jun 21
to Sepal Users
Dear SEPAL users:

GEE is changing these days and we're trying hard to keep up with these changes. The latest big change as of 17 June is that all GEE projects will need to be 'registered' with Google as either 'non-billed' or 'billed'. If your projects are not registered, then you will have issues with connecting, accessing, etc. data from them. Here below is a post from the GEE Developers forum announcing the change and how to deal with it:

Best
Erik

Ollie Bartlett

Jun 23, 2024, 8:20:43 AM (9 days ago) Jun 23
to Sepal Users
Hi Eric thanks for the update

I have ensured that my project is registered following the instructions above however i still cannot export any assets to the ee servers - have tried with ccdc and optical mosaics and consistently get error messages during export

any ideas on how to handle this?

Ollie

Erik Lindquist

Jun 23, 2024, 8:39:56 AM (9 days ago) Jun 23
to Sepal Users
Dear Ollie
Sorry for the issues. When you export, does it fail right away? Or does it take some time? You can, while you are exporting, go into the GEE code (code.earthengine.google.com) editor and look at your tasks. Maybe that can provide you with more information on why they might be failing. I have been able to export to GEE assets without any failures. So I don't think it's something systematic. We will keep looking from our side though, for sure.

Erik

Ollie Bartlett

Jun 24, 2024, 3:20:35 PM (8 days ago) Jun 24
to Sepal Users
Hi Erik,

For some context the last time i used sepal was about a month ago. all worked fine. when i logged on a few days ago i initially had the same error as others (country/region list etc not appearing, etc). i made sure my project was registered and also set up a new gmail/ee account to set up sepal as a fresh account. so now im trying with two accounts and getting the same results on each:

tiles are very slow to load in comparison to my experiences with sepal in the past

i cant seem to view any s2 imagery from 2017/2016/2015

exporting to sepal workspace works but is only available for certain functions

with functions such as ccdc export which have to be written to ee it seems like it never makes a connection to ee itself. i can access ee tables from sepal but when asked a file save name the buffering bar (dont know technical term) below the asset ID never settles. if i click retrieve the task initializes for 30 seconds, changes to executing, and then almost immediately fails with error message

{
  "id": "4f379d1a-cb51-4398-89f2-49be49d6f1ec",
  "recipeId": null,
  "name": "Export Optical_mosaic_2024-06-24_12-00-21 as a Google Earth Engine asset",
  "status": "FAILED",
  "statusDescription": "{\"defaultMessage\":\"Failed to execute task: \",\"messageKey\":\"tasks.status.failed\",\"messageArgs\":{\"error\":\"ServerException: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'length')\"}}"
}

no associate task for the export appears in the ee console - for the original ingest of ee table by sepal yes, but nothing appears for the attempted export.

any ideas what might be causing this? maybe a write permissions issue between sepal and ee? any ideas you might have would be very much appreciated

many thanks, Ollie

Diego Josue Incer Nunez

Jun 26, 2024, 10:03:41 PM (6 days ago) Jun 26
to Sepal Users
Hi Olli and Erik!

I am writing to you because I have also had problems with exporting assets from CCDC to GEE, I have already gone through the steps to verify the GEE project and everything seems to be normal. I wrote to the GEE people about this problem but I haven't got any answer.

That's why I would like to know what other measure we could take to be able to export assets to GEE. Here are some screenshots.

Best regards and happy day,

Sepal1.png

La información contenida en este correo electrónico es estrictamente CONFIDENCIAL; está destinada únicamente al destinatario designado. En caso de que este mensaje haya sido recibido por error o llegue a manos equivocadas, le informamos que queda expresamente PROHIBIDO utilizar, divulgar, copiar o distribuir cualquier información contenida en él.  En lugar de leerlo, le solicitamos encarecidamente que lo borre  inmediatamente y notifique al propietario emisor acerca del error en la entrega.

Los comentarios o puntos de vista expresados en este correo electrónico son únicamente una expresión del emisor y no necesariamente representan ideologías,  políticas o posiciones oficiales de la entidad. Le recordamos la importancia de mantener la confidencialidad y el respeto por la PRIVACIDAD de la información conforme las leyes vigentes.

Ollie Bartlett

Jul 1, 2024, 3:20:06 AM (yesterday) Jul 1
to Sepal Users
not sure if this can be appended to my previous message in this thread but here is the error message and subsequent code following the failure of export to ee.
{
  "id": "f0355b66-8932-40a4-a3d0-15450192db14",
  "recipeId": null,
  "name": "Export optMos21 as a Google Earth Engine asset",

  "status": "FAILED",
  "statusDescription": "{\"defaultMessage\":\"Failed to execute task: \",\"messageKey\":\"tasks.status.failed\",\"messageArgs\":{\"error\":\"ServerException: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'length')\"}}"
}

Screenshot 2024-06-28 155214.png

Ollie Bartlett

Jul 1, 2024, 3:20:13 AM (yesterday) Jul 1
to Sepal Users
so far i havent found a solution. i can export to sepal workspace and in this context tasks are sent to ee.

however anything (such as ccdc) that requires both an export and to be saved within ee no longer works and doesnt initialize within ee tasks, at least for me.

any solution to this would be highly appreciated

ollie