Re-Documentation of GreenSense

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Aug 27, 2019, 1:05:52 PM8/27/19
to SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Hi all,

I am taking another stab at structure structuring the project. Doesn't matter if we move the content later to another website/tool, this is an exercise to improve the navigation.

I am building two funnels
1. project orientation, provides info about organisational aspects
2. technology orientation, provides mapping into hardware and software

I suppose that some people come to this wanting to get some help with tech, contribute to tech, and some might want to join and lean more about the organisation. So we need to provide a navigation path for these two categories of individuals that discover the project and want to engage with it.

Feel free to provide feedback on this architecture.
NOTE: I am still playing with it, but early feedback would be nice, as I will be able to incorporate it easily into the design.

--

co-founder of SENSORICAan open value network
co-founder of CAKEconsulting for the new economy

John CC

Sep 1, 2019, 3:51:20 AM9/1/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Nice work. Any efforts to restructure the existing documentation will help when we move it over to a wiki.
I've got the new Odroid HC1 boards and I've set up 2 of them. 1 more to go.

DokuWiki seems to be the favorite wiki so I'll have a go at finding or creating a docker image for it and I'll post to the group once it's up and running.

I like the approach of splitting it into project and technical because many people coming to view the info will fall into one or the other categories.
Another category could be business which relates to sales, pricing, ordering, etc.

Before we populate the new wiki I suggest we look at all of the info we have and think of all the additional info we want to add, and come up with a structure for it first. Then once the structure is defined I'll start moving info over to it.
Because it's a wiki it'll be easy for others to come in and contribute too.

It would be great if other Sensoricans could take part in the review process, seeing every change/addition, and commenting on it, suggesting improvements, etc.

--
Go to SENSORICA home
https://sites.google.com/site/sensoricahome/home

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Oct 31, 2019, 2:58:17 PM10/31/19
to John CC, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Hi John,

What about https://docs.gitbook.com/ for documentation?
See if we can install it on a server.
We could use Sensorica's account on godaddy, where the sensorica.co domain name is registered, to host it.
This account has never gone down, that's because I've always managed it for the network :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sensorica-ecg" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sensorica-ecg/CAK73SL1SaBYBX4vtabxsbE7Sz114s7f3_iAfMz-GePbzOqr5SQ%40mail.gmail.com.

John JR

Nov 25, 2019, 6:15:27 PM11/25/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
GitBook looks interesting. I'm having a go at building a docker image for arm to run on the webserver here.
I can use the growsense.io domain name to point to it.

I use NoIP to point the domain name to my network and it has an option to redirect to a secondary location if the primary location is down.
So it could be worth setting up an identical server here and at Sensorica and have them mirror each other. Considering it uses git it should be easy to sync the two. And for anything which isn't based on git then we can just use rsync to keep the mirrors synced. Then if the webserver here goes down it'll redirect to the one at Sensorica.

If I can't get an arm based version to run on the webserver here maybe it is worth just using Sensorica's hosting account. And GrowSense can "lease" that hosting space.

I do think it could be worth figuring out self hosting with mirrors here and at Sensorica and see if we can guarantee 100% uptime. If we perfect that then we could potentially reduce running costs of various projects and have more control over anything we host.
We could also then use that approach to provide hosting for other projects which are incubated by Sensorica and it could even provide Sensorica an additional income.

Even if you just have a spare RPi with a decent micro SD card in it, then you should be able to run all the same docker containers I run on the webserver here.
If at some point that proves to be not fast enough, or not enough space, it might be worth look at upgrading to an Odroid HC1 with SSD in the Sensorica lab. But I think a decent RPi should be enough for now.

I'll let you know how I go on setting up GitBook here and we can discuss the possibilities as we go.

Cheers,
John

John JR

Nov 25, 2019, 9:12:45 PM11/25/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Ok I was initially looking at hosting this on the webserver I have here. But it turns out the gitbook hosting service is much easier to use.

I've pointed doc.growsense.io to the GitBook site I set up.
Should this be docs.growsense.io? Does that sound better?

All content is stored in the GitHub repo here:

John JR

Nov 25, 2019, 9:15:01 PM11/25/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Oops I accidentally hit send too early.
All content is stored in the GitHub repo here:

Before piling in content I think we need to come up with a structure for all the content. Add all the pages first. Then start adding content.

What does everyone think of this as the documentation site?

Cheers,
John

John JR

Nov 25, 2019, 9:20:49 PM11/25/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Oh the other thing to keep in mind is that this is not intended to be the official website. At least not the front page(s) of it.
I still want to use Maria's template for the official website. This GitBook site is intended for technical information, tutorials, etc. and other documentation.

But I guess we can add information to this GitBook site and then move it to the official website as we go if it seems appropriate.

The simple way to understand the difference between the two is that the official website is aimed at PR and marketing. The GitBook site is aimed at detailed technical information.

Who wants to help get involved in the documentation process? Migrating information from the Google Docs and the old Google Sites site to this new GitBooks site.

Cheers,
John