Anyone who visits the Sensorica lab want to help test out the GrowSense system?

John JR

Nov 25, 2019, 6:50:29 PM11/25/19
to SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
I sent a GrowSense kit to Sensorica a while back and Tibi put it together. But Tibi's time is limited just running Sensorica so he doesn't have much time to spare.

So if anyone else who visits the Sensorica lab is interested in playing around with the system, testing it out, giving me feedback, reporting bugs or suggestions, etc. please let me know.

The software on it needs a reinstall now the name has changed, the code has been moved to new GitHub repos, and a bunch of major updates have been released (such as the release of the new web based user interface) but that process is pretty easy (just a few commands run via SSH) and I can walk you through it.

Once the software reinstall is complete the system should be able to automatically update itself any time I release updates. But I don't think the existing auto update mechanism is able to handle updating from the old name (particularly from the previous GitHub repos to the new ones).

The GrowSense project really needs people to thoroughly test it and provide me feedback, so we can take it from a release candidate stage to a guaranteed stable stage ready for retail sales.

I hope someone has the interest and the time to take up this request because GrowSense is so close to becoming a viable business.
We also need to keep the ball rolling and stay ahead of competitors.

I plan on doing the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme here in Australia to help set up the business side of things. Turns out someone I know is actually a NEIS vocational trainer so she should be able to give me a lot of help.
And I've partnered back up with someone I've worked with a number of times over the past 2 decades who should be able to help me launch the business and ensure its a success.

GrowSense is poised to be quite a significant success story for Sensorica and for all contributors. But I need help, particularly testers, for that to happen.

Cheers,
John

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Nov 29, 2019, 12:59:56 PM11/29/19
to Compulsive Coder, BL, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Bev mentioned that she also wants to be a tester.

--
Go to SENSORICA home
https://sites.google.com/site/sensoricahome/home

John JR

Nov 29, 2019, 5:47:12 PM11/29/19
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, BL, SENSORICA, sensorica-ecg
Awesome. Well let me know if any help is needed from me.

I'm currently implementing some major improvements in the way device names are handled. Instead of auto generating the device name each time it's detected by plug and play, which can result in some weird behavior such as device names being swapped around if the USB ports are reassigned, or device names being duplicated (ie. irrigator1 becoming irrigator2) if the USB connection glitches/fails temporarily.
Now the device name is being stored in EEPROM on the actual arduino and when detected by plug and play it will reuse the name which has been assigned.
Most of the update is complete now just debugging some weird behavior.
Once perfected I'll make it possible to rename the devices via the web based UI in case people want to do that at some point.

The "lts" branch should still be pretty stable though with the previous version. And once this latest update is complete and graduated to lts after some thorough testing the whole system should be able to auto update itself.

So it should still be possible to do some testing on the existing lts version.

Cheers,
John