GrowSense release candidate branch

John JR

Dec 15, 2019, 3:56:30 PM12/15/19
to grow...@googlegroups.com, sensorica-ecg, SENSORICA
Common practice with open source software projects is to publish new updates to a release candidate or "rc" branch so people can test it out, before merging it into the stable or "lts" branch.

So I've created a "rc" branch for the GrowSense index, every device within the index, as well as every tool/utility/program that makes up the whole system such as the MQTT bridge and the plug and play program.

Now instead of graduating the "master" branch directly to the "lts" branch I'll be graduating it first to the "rc" branch.

What's needed is to have a bunch of people with at least minimal technical experience running the "rc" branch on live systems.
Then any time a new release candidate update is released their system will automatically upgrade itself, they can test it out, make sure everything is still working properly, report bugs if any are found, and report back if it seems solid.

After publishing an update to the "rc" branch my plan is to wait a week or two for thorough testing to be done, and if no bugs are found by the testers I then graduate to the "lts" branch.

This approach should pretty much guarantee that the "lts" branch (which is the version end users should run) never breaks and is always completely stable.

Any volunteers to be release candidate testers?

Cheers,
John