Re: GreenSense wiki

1 view

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Sep 3, 2019, 6:18:03 PM9/3/19
to John CC, sensorica-ecg, SENSORICA, Kenneth O'Regan
I'll play with it now.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:37 AM John CC <compuls...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've just launched a DokuWiki based wiki on my Odrod HC1 web server in my lab.
It doesn't have any content yet because I'm still testing it out and experimenting with it.

View it here:

The URL may change in the future but for now feel free to sign up and play around with it. Don't bother adding any real content yet until we make sure this is the wiki we want to go with. But feel free to create dummy pages and test out the functionality. We can always deleted them later.

I've enabled anonymous edit access so you should be able to edit pages without needing to log in. This is fairly safe because it's possible to review all changes and revert them. We can lock certain pages or the whole thing if that anonymous edit access gets misused.

I'm trying to set up a plugin so you can click "Login with Google" but it involves setting up the security keys etc. and that's where I'm a bit stuck. I'll keep playing around with it tomorrow.

If you sign up but need me to grant you permissions let me know.
I'll grant a number of known trusted Sensoricans admin permissions so other people can take on administration of the wiki without relying on me. But for that you'll need an account first.

I still need to move this server into my network stack so if it's offline then that's probably why. For now I'll leave it online as much as possible.

There are a whole bunch of addons we can add to it. So feel free to google dokuwiki addons and let me know if you find any you want installed and I'll take care of that.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
John

--

co-founder of SENSORICAan open value network
co-founder of CAKEconsulting for the new economy

John CC

Sep 4, 2019, 6:50:34 PM9/4/19
to sensorica-ecg, SENSORICA, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Kenneth O'Regan

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Sep 4, 2019, 6:53:42 PM9/4/19
to John CC, sensorica-ecg, SENSORICA, Kenneth O'Regan
Hi John,

The first comment about this wiki, is that the editor is not very user friendly. I would chose a wiki that has a more advanced editor, one that doesn't require someone to learn the markup language to create tables, put pictures into the text, ... the basic stuff.
Easy access to create content is very important if we want collaborators to enrich the content. Any technical barrier to creating content is detrimental to our model. The majority of people I know that have interacted with Sensorica aren't familiar with the wiki markup language.
That's why we continued to use Google docs and the Google site, to reduce barrier to content creation.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:37 AM John CC <compuls...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Go to SENSORICA home
https://sites.google.com/site/sensoricahome/home

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Sep 5, 2019, 5:36:38 PM9/5/19
to Compulsive Coder, sensorica-ecg, SENSORICA, Kenneth O'Regan
Cool, I'll check later tonight.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 12:18 AM John CC, <compuls...@gmail.com> wrote:
You might also want to scroll through these themes and see if there's one you think looks better:

DokuWiki is very customisable so there are a lot of themes to choose from.

On Thu., 5 Sep. 2019, 2:13 pm John CC, <compuls...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tibi check the wiki again.
I just enabled a better editor plugin which has table support and looks a lot nicer.
Let me know what you think.
I figured seeing if I can get this wiki to do what we want might be easier than finding and deploying another one.
Also curious to know if image upload functionality works now for you with that editor.

On Thu., 5 Sep. 2019, 12:38 pm John CC, <compuls...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah that wiki had the most likes on the list of wikis I was looking at which is why I went with it but even the admin side of things seems to not be very great.
I'll look for another one to try out. Hopefully we can find something easier to use.