Presentation Order and Advice

Rob Faludi

Dec 9, 2012, 8:25:56 PM12/9/12
to sensitive-b...@googlegroups.com
Whether you'll be working at the building on Monday (I'll be up there) or at ITP, it's getting near time to finalize your project and start focusing on how you'll communicate what you've done. The group names on this tentative schedule are probably out of date, so let me know if you've picked a new title. Plan on about 20 minutes for each presentation, including Q&A. That will give us time for walking around and transitions. We will lose daylight for the last two or three projects, so if that's a problem, just let me know. The order is flexible.
  1. Little Surprises
  2. BuildingLink SMS
  3. 44 Sunsets
  4. flux.240
  5. Perspective Sharing

Also, here's my standard last-minute presentation advice for Wednesday. You guys do have a lot of experience with presenting at this point, but sometimes it's worthwhile to cast one's mind back to the old-school basics:

-Tell us your names
-Tell us the name of your project
-Say in a sentence or two what your project does, so we know what we're going to hear about. State the context, relevance and solution, as appropriate.
-Be enthusiastic! You audience won't be more excited about your project than you, so set that ceiling high. Have fun.
-Don't apologize, especially at the opening. Focus on the awesome content, not yourself.
-Give us background and tell the story. How did the idea come to be? What did you try? What did you observe? How did you iterate? What worked and what was a dead end? Show any interesting failures and say what you learned from each.
-If your project is intended for a specific audience of users make sure we know who they are.
-Share your results from user testing. (You'll always do well to have some sort of user test results!)
-Demo your project and have a video and pitch ready to go if the demo breaks.
-Trust your audience's intelligence. They're smart. Be clear, but trust that they hear you the first time around.
-Have an ending planned that wraps it all up and tell us your names and the name of the project again.
-Leave time for feedback. Feel free to have questions to prompt your critics for feedback on specific issues.
-Rehearse! At least one full run-through beforehand will provide a polished performance.

I said it before and it may still bear repeating: enthusiasm is infectious. Good luck!

--Rob