Sensei metrics for percentiles?

Otis

Jul 30, 2013, 2:32:39 PM7/30/13
to sensei...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We're adding long-overdue percentiles (in addition to averages, sums, etc.) to SPM for Sensei (see http://sematext.com/spm/index.htmland I was wondering if you guys could point out which Sensei metrics would really benefit from percentiles the most.  Below is the list of 41 metrics SPM currently captures for Sensei.  I marked all metrics that have to do with time with "X".  I *assume* these are the prime candidates for being exposed as percentiles in addition to being exposed as averages, but... I'm not sure.  I was wondering if:

1) there are other metrics that I missed that should be shown as percentiles
2) any of the metrics I marked with "X" are simply not very important and thus don't really need percentiles

Computing percentiles comes with some overhead, so we want to be sure we are doing it only for the very valuable metrics and to identify the metrics that really are worth monitoring.  For example, if sensei_nodes_prune_time is just not something that people really need to care about too much, or if it's know that there are never really any issues with pruning, then we may not want to spend extra resources on computing percentiles for this metric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Metric Name

Metric Type

X sensei_nodes_total_search_time

AvgLong

X sensei_nodes_search_time

AvgLong

X sensei_nodes_prune_time

AvgLong

X sensei_nodes_merge_time

AvgLong

X sensei_nodes_get_reader_time

AvgLong

sensei_partitions_num_of_requests

SumLong

X sensei_partitions_request_time

AvgLong

sensei_brokers_num_of_requests

SumLong

X sensei_brokers_total_time

AvgLong

X sensei_brokers_scatter_time

AvgLong

X sensei_brokers_gather_time

AvgLong

sensei_brokers_errors

SumLong

sensei_brokers_req_to_unknown_partition

SumLong

sensei_zoie_ram_a_index_segments

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_ram_b_index_segments

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_ram_a_index_size

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_ram_b_index_size

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_index_size

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_disk_index_size

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_disk_index_segments

AvgLong

sensei_zoie_disk_free_space

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_manager_indexer_events

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_indexing_events

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_batch_size

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_update_batch_size

AvgLong

X sensei_gateways_flush_time

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_docs_leftover

AvgLong

sensei_gateways_docs_indexed

AvgLong

X sensei_norbert_avg_request_processing_time

AvgDouble

sensei_norbert_queue_size

AvgLong

sensei_norbert_requests_per_second

AvgDouble

sensei_norbert_requests_rejected

AvgDouble

sensei_bobo_facet_count_cache_hits_num

SumLong

sensei_bobo_facet_count_cache_misses_num

SumLong

sensei_bobo_sort_cache_hits_num

SumLong

sensei_bobo_sort_cache_misses_num