Where is latest download

oralincentre

Dec 26, 2020, 1:44:04 PM12/26/20
to Send Later Users
I'm a bit confused. I donated to get the send later upgrade but have not received any emails about it - where is the latest upgrade? Is it working now?

Jonathan Kamens

Dec 26, 2020, 3:12:45 PM12/26/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com, oralincentre

Hi,

If you donated to the Kickstarter campaign then I'm not sure why you didn't get the update emails I sent out. If you're subscribed to this list then I'm not sure why you didn't get the emails about this sent here as well.

Send Later is available for Thunderbird 78, and has been for a while, on addons.thunderbird.net. You can simply search for it on the add-ons page in Thunderbird and install it. I recommend uninstalling the old version and restarting before doing that, if you have the old version installed (if you do, the old version will probably be listed at the bottom of the add-ons page with the disabled add-ons since it's not compatible with Thunderbird 78).

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list | Make a donation

On 12/26/20 1:44 PM, oralincentre wrote:
I'm a bit confused. I donated to get the send later upgrade but have not received any emails about it - where is the latest upgrade? Is it working now? --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Send Later Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/send-later-users/eb27a03c-2188-41da-99ae-b3686db1c035n%40googlegroups.com.

oralincentre

Dec 26, 2020, 3:16:36 PM12/26/20
to Send Later Users
The last email I got was one where you said you were expecting something around June to be done and nothing after that...I'll try and find it now. Thanks.

oralincentre

Dec 26, 2020, 3:34:53 PM12/26/20
to Send Later Users
Found it and installed it. Thank you - I've been missing it dearly.

Kai Bühler

Dec 30, 2020, 12:18:35 PM12/30/20
to Send Later Users
Same for me, I expected some kind of license code or something like that.
I see that there is no difference between Kickstarters who donated to the project and all other users. Hm. Strange energy.

Jonathan Kamens

Dec 30, 2020, 1:01:08 PM12/30/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com

1) As I indicated in my last email, numerous updates have been sent out through Kickstarter to people who supported the campaign, so if you didn't get any of them, I imagine that's between you, your Kickstarter settings, and your spam filter; I have no control over it.

2) I have been up-front and transparent since the first day of the Kickstarter campaign about the fact that the ideal outcome I hoped to achieve was to be able to use the money from the campaign to pay people to port the add-ons to TB78 while keeping the add-ons free rather than requiring licensing; licensing was a fallback I intended to use only if that failed. If those terms were not acceptable you could have refrained from subscribing to the Kickstarter.

Thanks to Jonathan Perry-Houts and others who stepped forward, I was able to do that -- at least for Send Later, unfortunately there are ongoing problems with some of the other add-ons due to people not exactly delivering on their commitments, and it taking me time to unwind those commitments and find other people to do the work -- so that's what I did. In fact, the majority of the campaign's proceeds are going to be paid out to Jonathan Perry-Houts for his work (Jonathan, if you're reading this, I'm sorry that hasn't happened yet, I'm working on it!). If I hadn't done the Kickstarter I wouldn't have the money to be able to pay Jonathan and others to port the add-ons to TB78.

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list | Make a donation

Kai Bühler

Dec 31, 2020, 6:28:03 AM12/31/20
to Send Later Users
Thanks for your fast answer. I didn’t want to bother you, just a feedback, also because I was new to kickstarter.
The addon (for the moment I only use Send Later) is pretty fine, my constructive-minded feedback was about just this fact:
The campaign as I read it spoke about "licenses", e.g. I supported to "Perpetual license for all my add-ons" which means in my mind I will get some kind of license information. So it just was the wrong frame set there.

Are the other addons also ready for TB78?

Jonathan Kamens

Dec 31, 2020, 8:13:03 AM12/31/20
to Send Later Users

I hate to keep harping on this, but I feel like I'm still being accused of being misleading or dishonest here, and I really don't feel comfortable letting that stand unchallenged.

Here is an excerpt from the text of the Kickstarter campaign:

And you know what? It would be awesome if someone else took over my add-ons and continued to maintain them for free, just as I took over Send Later years ago. I love and believe in free software, so that would actually be the ideal outcome as far as I'm concerned. I've tried to find people to do that, but so far I've been unsuccessful. As far as I'm concerned, switching to a licensing model like this is actually the lesser of two evils; it's either this or abandon my add-ons completely and leave all of my users in the lurch, which I'd really rather not do if I can avoid it.

This Kickstarter campaign may actually help me find people willing to take over my add-ons and maintain them for free. If this campaign succeeds, and some of my add-ons do get adopted by new maintainers, then I'll pay them from the proceeds of the campaign. Having that on offer may help me attract new maintainers for my add-ons, so you may get to keep using the add-ons for free even after the licenses I'm offering in this campaign would have expired.

That's the original language of the campaign. I never modified it after the start of the campaign.

In addition, I sent out an update to all backers of the campaign on February 29 announcing that the direction I was moving in -- and hoping to be successful at -- was the add-ons continuing to be free after TB78. The campaign wasn't over at that point, so anyone who objected to that could have requested a refund. I was consistent with this messaging in all subsequent updates. In all, 12 updates were sent out, and again: if you didn't see them for whatever reason, I have no control over that.

Regarding your other question, as I said in my last message, some of the add-ons are not yet ready for TB78. Unfortunately, some of the people who volunteered to port them have not delivered good code and I've lost faith that they're going to be able to so I have to replace them, but it is taking me time to unwind those relationships. The fact that we've been experiencing a global pandemic for nearly a year, in the middle of which I lost my job, nas not helped things. The complete status of all the add-ons can be found at the top of this page.

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list | Make a donation

Lance McCold

Dec 31, 2020, 10:15:58 AM12/31/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com
I, for one, gave my $50 to the campaign hoping that my little part would keep Send Later free for everyone. I'm glad that it has. I can't remember what the "license" would have given but that license didn't play much in my thinking. Send Later is a valuable add-on that clearly has to be maintained to continue working. I am glad to contribute to keeping Send Later available for all.

We live in confusing times. Our world is dominated by corporations dedicated to extracting as much wealth as possible from everyone and everything around them. The "free" things they give us have hidden hooks so they can extract something even more valuable from us without our seeing it. Then, there are the shysters who lie and mislead, or addict us for their profit. I'm sure there are honest business people out there but it is extremely difficult for us to identify the honest business from among all the liars and cheats.

Then, we have generous people such as Mr. Kamens who want to serve mankind more than maximize their wealth. We are so accustomed to seeing everything as an exchange that we hardly know how to behave when dealing with generosity. Still, Mr. Kamens and all the other generous people out there have to make a living and there are limits to their  ability to give. We have to find a way to support their generosity. Kickstarter seems like a pretty poor way to do it, but it's what we have.

So, it's no wonder we get confused by a Kickstarter campaigns since we have been trained to see everything through the lens of exchange rather than generosity. However, as hard as it is, we need to support the generous spirited among us until we find a way to rein in the exploiters.

Lance McCold

Rick Grunwald

Dec 31, 2020, 12:59:03 PM12/31/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com, Lance McCold

And, after reading that it would have to go with a licensing model, I gave MY $50 so I could continue using it. The communications at the end of the old Sendlater were obviously confusing to many of us

At this point I am with Lance; I am just happy it is getting worked on ... for everyone. To those who felt the confusion: you were not alone but at this point nothing will be gained by going back and forth about the licensing that was offered. There are bigger fish to fry as the new year approaches

I wish you all a Happy New Year!