The Send Later beta channel is back

1 view

Jonathan Kamens

Sep 11, 2023, 1:56:18 PM9/11/23
to Send Later Users

Hi folks!

Those of you who have been with me on the Send Later journey for a Very Long Time might recall that long ago it used to be possible for me to upload beta releases of Send Later to addons.mozilla.org (AMO), and users could choose to subscribe to the beta channel to get those releases instead of just getting production releases. At some point AMO (and subsequently addons.thunderbird.net) got rid of the beta channel functionality, and that has made it more difficult for me to recruit and retain a group of people willing to help make the add-on better by testing beta releases.

Well, I'm pleased to report that the beta channel is back. If you're willing to get beta releases early and help me find bugs before the whole user base sees them (and I'd really appreciate it!), here's how to join the beta channel:

  1. Go to the Send Later releases page on GitHub.
  2. Click on the first release (right now, that's 10.2.3, which I just emailed the group about, but that might change before you read this).
  3. Download send_later_beta.xpi (that's a link to the 10.2.3 version) from that page. If you're on Firefox, make sure to right-click and select "Save Link As..." or it'll try to install it as a Firefox extension.
  4. Open the Add-ons page in Thunderbird.
  5. Either drag and drop the downloaded XPI file onto the Add-ons page, or click the gear icon, select "Install Add-on From File...", and browse to the downloaded XPI file.
  6. Once you click through the installation pop-ups you can delete the original downloaded XPI file; Thunderbird makes a copy of it during installation.

You can switch back to the main release channel at any time by repeating the steps above but downloading and installing "send_later.xpi" instead of "send_later_beta.xpi", or by installing the current version downloaded from addons.thunderbird.net.

Thanks for your help making Send Later better!

--
Jonathan Kamens
Maintainer, Send Later Thunderbird add-on