Running in "server" mode

Dave Warren

Feb 24, 2021, 11:00:48 PM2/24/21
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com
Hey, a quick question, is the senddrafts preference still used?

user_pref("extensions.sendlater3.senddrafts", false);

I'm trying to set up in the traditional "Server" mode, such that I can schedule a send anywhere and my main TB installation will send the message out.

My Thunderbird installs are all essentially identical, in that I periodically replicate the profile directory, and flip the extensions.sendlater3.senddrafts setting in user.js. I verified the change did get read as it was modified in prefs.js, but Thunderbird on my laptop still sends scheduled messages it discovers in the Drafts folder.

Or is there a new/better way to implement this configuration in the modern rewrite?

Thanks!

Jonathan Kamens

Feb 25, 2021, 8:43:19 AM2/25/21
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com

It's no longer a traditional preference as of TB78, because in the new Thunderbird add-ons aren't supposed to use the traditional preference mechanism. The setting still exists, though... you just have to edit it differently. Open the Send Later preferences from the Add-Ons page, scroll down to "Advanced configuration editor" and expand it, change the value of the sendDrafts preference there, and click the Save button. You'll need to do the same with editing the UID in all of the Thunderbird profiles you want to be in your server-side Send Later "pod."

  jik

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list

Dave Warren

Feb 25, 2021, 1:02:33 PM2/25/21
to 'Jonathan Kamens' via Send Later Users
Ahh okay, fair enough. That complicates things a bit, but it is what it is (and definitely not blaming anyone!)

Until I can get to all of my machines, if I change my "instanceUUID" on my server then it should stop the server from interacting with any messages sent-latered by another machine, is that correct?

Then once I get to each machine and set sendDrafts to false, I'll change the "instanceUUID" to the server's new value.

Jonathan Kamens

Feb 25, 2021, 1:03:15 PM2/25/21
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that's correct.

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on

Jonathan Perry-Houts

Feb 25, 2021, 1:49:40 PM2/25/21
to Send Later Users
If you already had those options setup, and you're just upgrading from a previous Send Later version, then all of those settings should be transferred into the new preferences system (including your UUID). If you created a new profile at some point, then you will get a new UUID on that machine. You should double check to be sure, but this shouldn't require any additional effort if you already had it working before.