Color change for Send Later Box

Paul Wright

Jan 28, 2019, 4:53:13 PM1/28/19
to Send Later Users
Would it be possible to change the color of the dialog box in the Send Later dialog which holds the changed date?  See the attached graphic.

It is my own fault, I know, but all too often, after setting the Send Later date, I reach down and click the bright red outlined Send Now button.

I think it would be all right if the outline or background of the Later box were permanently something brighter.

It would be ideal, of course, if it changed to a bright color when a time was inserted.  Perhaps it could just be a bright  text color.  And maybe dim down the 'Send Now' (but not disable it).

Thanks for a great extension.,

-----Paul-----

SendLaterDialog.jpg

Jonathan Kamens

Jan 28, 2019, 4:58:07 PM1/28/19
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com

Honestly, no matter what I make the UI look like, somebody complains about it. You have no idea how many iterations there have been over the years. I've mostly given up. ;-)

Seriously, I'll give it some more thought. But when I do have more time to work on the add-on, my first priority is going to be making it compatible with Thunderbird 63+...

Regards,

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list | Make a donation

Paul Sims Wright

Jan 28, 2019, 5:04:38 PM1/28/19
to 'Jonathan Kamens' via Send Later Users
Thank you for considering it.  I think it is an amazing UI.  I learned a lot reading the complaints in the list.  I had no idea how flexible the text box was for input.

And maybe I should just ask the TB guys to quit screwing up the add-on compatibility.

--

----- P a u l -----

Eyal A.

Jan 29, 2019, 5:34:08 AM1/29/19
to Paul Wright, Send Later Users

Hello Paul,

  This is NOT your fault. I do agree with you that the UI can have a better design. The box you mentioned should be more easily detectable in a glance.

I also do get confused and press the wrong button sometimes.

I have some ideas on how to improve the UI, but to be honest, my opinion should not count.

For a UI to get improved, some usability tests should be taken.

I hope that such tests will be taken someday and will make this great add-on even greater.

  Eyal

Rick Rostek

Mar 25, 2019, 3:12:56 PM3/25/19
to 'Jonathan Kamens' via Send Later Users
Jonathan:

Like you and others, I've wondered if there was a better implementation of the "send" buttons.  A thought occurred to me.  What if there was just one "send" button?  If a valid time is not entered in the "Send At:" box, then the button reads "Send Now".  Once a valid time is entered, the text changes to the valid time (just as it does now).

Just a thought, maybe one that's already on the scrap heap!

Thanks for a great add-on.  I appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Rick

Paul Sims Wright

May 3, 2020, 7:32:51 PM5/3/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com
Since you got a respectable response to your kickstarter ... and since you have achieved your TB 63+ goal, I wonder if you could include my UI change suggestion in your queue of changes to Send-Later.  I know it continues to be my own fault but I fill in a Send-Later time and still hit 'Send Now'.

Actually, on reconsideration, my latest recommendation.  What is now the line that reads 'Enter a valid date above'  Should simply read 'Now'.  The 'Send Now' button would read 'Send at time above'.  The line where you enter the delayed date and time would have a 'go button'.  Hitting 'enter' would do nothing if anything had been entered in that line.

I love your program and appreciate that you have updated it.  Just begging to be protected from myself.

Actually, adding an 'Are you sure?' prompt to the 'Send Now' button would work for me but I'm sure it would drive the majority of your users crazy.  Perhaps it could be configurable?

Anyhow, thanks again for a great program extension.

--

----- P a u l -----

Jonathan Kamens

May 5, 2020, 9:59:28 AM5/5/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com, Paul Sims Wright, Jonathan Perry-Houts

Hi,

The repository for the version of Send Later that will be compatible (we hope) with Thunderbird 78 is at https://github.com/Extended-Thunder/send-later. If you'd like, you can open an issue with your suggestions at https://github.com/Extended-Thunder/send-later/issues, but I suggest waiting until this version is actually released, since I imagine the person who's doing the port to TB78 is probably going to make UI changes while porting, so it's probably a good idea to wait to see it first before suggesting changes.

Also, for obvious reasons our priority right now is on getting the basic functionality working in TB78, not on cosmetic UI changes.

Please note that I will no longer be the primary maintainer of Send Later starting with TB78. I've CC'd the new maintainer, Jonathan Perry-Houts, since I don't know whether he's on this mailing list.

Regards,

Jonathan Kamens
Send Later Thunderbird Add-on
Install | Write a review | Join the mailing list | Make a donation

Paul Sims Wright

May 5, 2020, 10:01:52 AM5/5/20
to Jonathan Kamens, send-lat...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Perry-Houts
OK.  Had no idea TB78 was yet another hurdle.  Thanks.

--

Jonathan Kamens

May 5, 2020, 10:03:14 AM5/5/20
to send-lat...@googlegroups.com, Paul Sims Wright, Jonathan Perry-Houts

I think you might have misunderstood the purpose of the Kickstarter. It was to fund TB78 development, not "TB 63+." The hurdles to get add-ons over for TB78 compatibility are much, much more steep than what needed to be done for TB68.