Tessie won't open a filename containing three dots?

Terry Betteridge

Nov 25, 2022, 9:14:32 AM11/25/22
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Using TSE for Linux 2022 Sep 14 version, on Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon.

I have a few text files whose filenames contain three consecutive full stops. For example, Cable_JB1d4RepW02_QGD_3...Be7.pgn  . (I have files with the .pgn filename extension set to be edited as text by Tessie. They contain text representing chess moves in "portable game notation".   3...Be7 is the way to represent a move by Black.)

But when I try to edit one of these files, all I get from Tessie is:

Editing new file...
[ End of File ]

and the title bar displays,    Cable_JB1d4RepW02_QGD_3.Be7.pgn - TSE Pro

If I rename the file by removing the ... from the filename,  and try again, Tessie opens it properly.  So, not really a big problem for me, in practice, I can rename my files if necessary. But is this a known feature?  Some good reason for it?   Hadn't noticed this before now.

Terry

S.E. Mitchell

Nov 25, 2022, 9:26:12 AM11/25/22
to sem...@googlegroups.com
It is the filename expansion.
The editor needs to get the full pathname of the file being edited.
The code uses a library routine - _fullpath().

It needs to convert things like: ../../foo.bar
to: full-path/foo.bar

Apparently, the 3 dots confuse _fullpath(), and so it just throws the
extras away. I think it should recognize that there isn't a "/", and
so take the dots literally, but it must not be doing that.

I'll add it to my "to do" list.

--
Sammy
> --
>
> ---

S.E. Mitchell

Nov 25, 2022, 9:40:16 AM11/25/22
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Turns out one can also create a file with 3 dots in the name on Windows too!
To edit it on Windows, simply quote the name.
For some reason, this - quoting - doesn't work for the Linux version.
Not sure why, I'm investigating.
--
Sammy

Terry Betteridge

Nov 25, 2022, 9:43:02 AM11/25/22
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Thankyou Sammy, understood. Glad there's an explanation. Not a problem for me, I'll rename my files, so put it to the back of your to do list and let it drop off the end  :)  .  But it was very puzzling for a little while, till the penny dropped.

S.E. Mitchell

Nov 25, 2022, 5:17:30 PM11/25/22
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Found the problem. As the old saw goes, "we have found the enemy, and
they are us".
Fix will be available in the next release of TSE for Linux.
--
Sammy