Official download location

39 views
Skip to first unread message

Tom Collins

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 10:16:45 AM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to SemWare TSE Pro Text Editor
I know that new TSE releases are announced here, and the files are https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse[-linux]-4.x.y.zip, but where is the "official" download location for the "latest" version?  Sometimes I go to update versions and don't have the old e-mail.  https://semware.com/ isn't kept up to date.

Thanks.

knud van eeden

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 12:38:35 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to SemWare TSE Pro Text Editor
The easiest and quickest general solution for this often reoccurring question or feature request
would possibly be to instead of putting a hardcoded TSE version
dependent URL link like here on the Semware.com website:


Then putting instead the parent page URL on the Semware webpage:


Then whatever is present there is the same version as sent in the email also
because they should both share this top URL for and Windows and Linux latest
version.

===

Thus instead of this text currently shown at https://semware.com

Download the latest versions:
putting there the more general text, version independent:

Download the latest versions:
Then the question will be resolved once and for all without having to edit any URLs anymore.

with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden




On Friday, September 25, 2026 at 04:16:58 PM GMT+2, Tom Collins <ltsk...@gmail.com> wrote:


I know that new TSE releases are announced here, and the files are https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse[-linux]-4.x.y.zip, but where is the "official" download location for the "latest" version?  Sometimes I go to update versions and don't have the old e-mail.  https://semware.com/ isn't kept up to date.

Thanks.

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SemWare TSE Pro text editor" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to semware+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/CAODxuObMbqUhR3z14ToAgoeuW4M3xqEQQn%2BrcMjwqFS2G%3DNZCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Fred H Olson

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 12:54:56 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to 'knud van eeden' via SemWare TSE Pro text editor
I concur with Knud that some sort of "forward reference" to info
about versions on the web would be helpful tho I think there should be
"under development" version(s) and "stable version" labeled there
for folks to choose from.

Fred


On Fri, 25 Sep 2026, 'knud van eeden' via SemWare TSE Pro text editor wrote:

> The easiest and quickest general solution for this often reoccurring question or feature requestwould possibly be to instead of putting a hardcoded TSE versiondependent URL link like here on the Semware.com website:
> https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse-setup-4.50.30.zip
> Then putting instead the parent page URL on the Semware webpage:
> https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/
> Then whatever is present there is the same version as sent in the email alsobecause they should both share this top URL for and Windows and Linux latestversion.
> ===
> Thus instead of this text currently shown at https://semware.com
> Download the latest versions:
> - TSE for Windows (4.50.23 Apr 2026) New!
> - TSE for Linux (4.50.23 Apr 2026) New!
> putting there the more general text, version independent:
> Download the latest versions:
> - TSE for Windows (latest version) New!
> - TSE for Linux (latest version) New!
>
>
>
> Then the question will be resolved once and for all without having to edit any URLs anymore.
> with friendly greetingsKnud van Eeden
>
>
>
> On Friday, September 25, 2026 at 04:16:58 PM GMT+2, Tom Collins <ltsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know that new TSE releases are announced here, and the files are https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse[-linux]-4.x.y.zip, but where is the "official" download location for the "latest" version?  Sometimes I go to update versions and don't have the old e-mail.  https://semware.com/ isn't kept up to date.
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SemWare TSE Pro text editor" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to semware+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/CAODxuObMbqUhR3z14ToAgoeuW4M3xqEQQn%2BrcMjwqFS2G%3DNZCQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SemWare TSE Pro text editor" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to semware+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/422737306.921163.1790354307358%40mail.yahoo.com.
>

--
Fred H. Olson Minneapolis,MN 55411 USA (near north Mpls)
Email: fholson at cohousing.org 612-588-9532
My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org A1l_

Knud van Eeden

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 1:31:05 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
>  I think there should be
> "under development" version(s) and "stable version" labeled there
> for folks to choose from.

1. But that would defy the easy solution of showing only the latest version.

2. As then multiple links would have to be maintained by Semware (=(hard coded) links to dev, stable, latest, ...).

3. As the only information sent in the email is further always the latest version and nothing more.

4. So for now we should, if accepted by Semware only point to the latest version and in the email and on the Semware web site,
using e.g. including only the parent URL on the https://semware.com web site.



S.E. Mitchell

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 1:41:23 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
A good question.
On the website, I post what I think is a stable version.
Once all the major issues from the last few versions are resolved, I
plan to post a new version on the website.
For me at least, 4.50.30 seems to have fixed most major issues.
But I'll let it marinate for a while to be sure.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 10:16 AM Tom Collins <ltsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know that new TSE releases are announced here, and the files are https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse[-linux]-4.x.y.zip, but where is the "official" download location for the "latest" version? Sometimes I go to update versions and don't have the old e-mail. https://semware.com/ isn't kept up to date.
>
> Thanks.
>

Tom Collins

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 3:57:40 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so that clears it up a bit that you consider 4.50.23 the current "stable release" and consider newer versions less-so.  It became more confusing when the "beta" kinda went away.  So then I'd say things are fine as-is, but I'd offer up the idea of making some other web-accessible "directory" a dumping ground that has all of the releases available.  Right now, for example, https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install gets you nothing - you have to know the exact file name, and unless I'm following this mailing list every day, I don't always recall what the latest is.

S.E. Mitchell

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 4:11:26 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
That is my goal.
Just not enough hours in a day :)
> To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/CAODxuOZtyAq-DdaBrrMw5JX2ttHWnDZbh4F3rxUMY%2BxWbJCv3w%40mail.gmail.com.

Carlo Hogeveen

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 4:11:43 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com


Tom Collins wrote:
> Ok, so that clears it up a bit that you consider 4.50.23 the current "stable release"
> and consider newer versions less-so. It became more confusing when the "beta"
> kinda went away. So then I'd say things are fine as-is, but I'd offer up the idea of
> making some other web-accessible "directory" a dumping ground that has all of
> the releases available.

You can find both old and latest TSE releases at https://ecarlo.nl/tse/ .
They have a link to their release message in the public mailing list if you prefer the originals.
My zip versions include an extra run_as_user.cmd and run_as_administrator.cmd script.
I did not include v4.50.29 because its installation aborted.
If no alarming reports occur I will shortly mirror v4.50.30 there,
including the work-around for v4.50.27 and v4.50.28 upgrades.

Carlo



Knud van Eeden

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 4:21:47 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
---

> That is my goal.
> Just not enough hours in a day :)

---

So having that explicitly in mind, if not mentioning the exact version but a more generic 'latest version' (and skipping the demand of mentioning explicitly a stable version), and making  
available for outside users (as usual that can be done in your Apache server or similar) then that would resolve the issue in a in my opinion very simple way.
The users get then the latest version and that is where most are probably interested in.
Leaving also a 'stable' version URL link on that web page  https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install would then fetch 2 birds with one stone.

Just my 2 dollars ;-)

Tom Collins

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 7:35:58 PM (11 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> You can find both old and latest TSE releases at https://ecarlo.nl/tse

I tried this the other day, and the word "TSE" which links to your download page, didn't work for me - it was just text, not a link.  Weird. Will have to try it again from work.

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SemWare TSE Pro text editor" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to semware+u...@googlegroups.com.

knud van eeden

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 7:44:43 PM (11 days ago) Sep 25
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it does work if expanding the links there, then at 'Windows' there is the information.

One sees 4.50.28 there.

I saw that download option also earlier, but 4.50.28 is thus not the latest version (which is 4.50.30).

In other words it will need maintenance which might not always be possible, and maintenance not by Semware thus.

So indeed the best option in my opinion would be that Semware (also) maintains the latest version (and I have already left an idea about how to achieve that in a least effort way).



Inline image


Max Nielsen

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 1:38:11 PM (11 days ago) Sep 26
to sem...@googlegroups.com, Sam Mitchell
Sammy,

I am pleased and happy to let you know that the company I work for has installed TSE on its Linux system.  I used TSE on my MSDOS machines first about ten years while working as an independent consultant, and now will be using it again!  Previously I worked at a very large defense contractor.  It had a great IT group but the process of getting apps approved was difficult.  

Thank you! Thank you!  TSE has so many sensible and convenient features!

Max


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages