Installing TSE (Windows RC25 version) onto a network drive

David H.

Jun 13, 2024, 9:17:44 AMJun 13
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Hi all,

Not sure if this is unsupported or a bug, but it appears that it is currently not possible to install TSE onto a network drive/share without getting an error. The install appears to work fine up to the point where you asked how you want to customize the editor. Regardless of which option you select, the install fails a few moments later withan error like:-

Error 2 usually means file not found, so I guess the install may have already silently failed before this and this is why the file it expects to be there is not.

So to sum up, is the a bug or is in effect an unsupported option? I currently just work around this by installing into a local drive and copying the files onto the network drive. So not really a big deal, but it would be nice if the installer could handle this directly.

Cheers.

David H.

Jun 13, 2024, 9:25:28 AMJun 13
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Just in case the screenshot does not work, the error was:-

Error 2 on h:\tsetest\30483\sc32.exe -! -q -be32.exe tse.cfg

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 13, 2024, 12:27:06 PMJun 13
to sem...@googlegroups.com

> ... but it appears that it is currently not possible to install TSE onto a network drive/share without getting an error ...

For what it is worth, I cannot reproduce that, neither with a new install nor with an upgrade.
Maybe there is more to the error than just TSE being installed to a network drive.

Carlo

S.E. Mitchell

Jun 13, 2024, 6:26:42 PMJun 13
to sem...@googlegroups.com
I also tried installing to a remote/networked drive, and it worked for me.

Error code 2 means "file not found". Not sure which one it could not
find, e32.exe or tse.cfg.

I might be able to send you a debugging version, if you want to try
and help track down the issue.
--
> --
>
> ---

Eric Pement

Jun 14, 2024, 4:33:29 PMJun 14
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Clarifying question:

(1) Were the installation files (tse.dat, tse.exe) also on the network drive, or were the installation files on a local hard drive like C: ?

(2) Does the network share create a virtual or mirror directory on your local system?

This happened to me a few years ago at my former employer. The real network share was in London but I was in the U.S. To make things more efficient, a mirror of that share was created on my local drive and assigned the drive letter H (for "home drive"). This was years ago.  Occasionally with certain programs, I would run into file-not-found errors because the syncing was not always reliable or known. Maybe I just didn't understand how the sync was supposed to work.  Eventually, I learned the difference between the actual home drive and my local mirror, and how to address each one independently. I seem to remember that when I right-clicked on the H: drive in Windows Explorer (now called File Manager), it gave me the option of whether to address the local mirror or the actual shared, or how to control the syncing.

I have not run into that situation for a few years, but your post helps me remember how it was.

Eric Pement

David H.

Jun 14, 2024, 5:57:31 PMJun 14
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor

Weirdly enough after having witnessed this issue on multiple occasions I tried again today and the install worked! I then wiped it and tried 2 more times again with no issue. As far as I can see nothing has changed since the last time I ran it to capture the screenshot of the error. If I can manage to replicate it again, my plan is to look in the temp directory when the customize option appears for the presence of sc32.exe, e32.exe and Tse.cfg and to check the file permissions etc. If it happens again I'll let you know and take you up on the offer of that debugging version.

Cheers,

David

David H.

Jun 14, 2024, 6:01:29 PMJun 14
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
>(1) Were the installation files (tse.dat, tse.exe) also on the network drive, or were the installation files on a local hard drive like C: ?

They were in another directory of my h: drive

>(2) Does the network share create a virtual or mirror directory on your local system?

No it does not. It's a network drive to a file server.

As mentioned above, despite having no issue replicating this issue previously I'm currently struggling to replicate it now for some reason.

Cheers,

David