New version: SemWare website updated with latest versions of TSE: 4.49

S.E. Mitchell

Jan 3, 2023, 4:51:45 PM1/3/23
to TSEPro Support
v4.49 is out, for both Windows and Linux.

Changes include:

More work on getting fonts working correctly
Removed warnings from the .ui files
Added additional mouse chords to the .ui files
Updated the syncfg macro
Updates to listopen
Fixed numeric underscore not highlighting after decimal places
Added GetSynQuote(), GetSynMultiLnDlmt()
Updated the help engine
Thanks to Carlo Hogeveen, Knud Van Eeden, H. Pikaar, Zhong Zhao, and
Eliyahu Trigoub for help on the above items!

See the read.me file for details

Carlo Hogeveen

Jan 3, 2023, 6:21:25 PM1/3/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

My tests say that for Windows TSE 4.49 it is no longer possible to install it "as administrator".
Trying so reports "Error 740 on D:\tmp\setup.dat".

For those who do not know:
You could get extra install options by either running the "setup_as_administrator.cmd" script included in the zip files on my website, or by renaming tse.exe and tse.dat to setup.exe and setup.dat and running setup.exe.
This no longer works for 4.49.

Carlo

S.E. Mitchell

Jan 3, 2023, 6:39:42 PM1/3/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. I wonder what happened?
No idea why it is doing this :(
Looking ....
--
> --
>
> ---

Guy Rouillier

Jan 4, 2023, 3:53:31 AM1/4/23
to Semware TSE Pro
Waiting for version 4.50... :)

--
Guy Rouillier

On 1/3/2023 6:39:25 PM, "S.E. Mitchell" <sammy.m...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/CA%2BgEvkayODNM8a41sNQwh3%2B1NA5qX5x%3D9%3DSehQONfXmD07Y_MA%40mail.gmail.com.

nkor...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2023, 5:14:16 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Some custom macros failed to auto-load. Should we recompile these?

Thanks!

Carlo Hogeveen

Jan 4, 2023, 5:42:27 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

> Some custom macros failed to auto-load. Should we recompile these?

1.
I cannot reproduce this. My custom macros autoloaded just fine.

2.
TSE's compiler version stayed the same, so no recompiles should be necessary for that reason either.

Carlo

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 6:11:34 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> Carlo wrote:
> TSE's compiler version stayed the same, so no recompiles should be necessary for that reason either.

How can this be checked?

(note: until now if new version of TSE always recompiled all TSE macros).

Thanks in advance
with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden

Harald Mezger

Jan 4, 2023, 6:14:44 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
>Some custom macros failed to auto-load.  Should we recompile these?

I got one such error message for Carlo's HelpRepair.mac

The reason turned a combination of:

1. macro binary code incompatibility between differnt versions, and
2. a missing path specification in the Autoload list:

I hadn't added that macro to either the default mac\ directory, or my personal UserMac\ (specified in the editor configuration).
All source files in these get automatically recompiled during the install of a new version.

Instead, HelpReapir.mac was added to Autoload without a path,  which translates to the install directory.
But all source code files stored in there only get recompiled when the user remembers to do that himself after an update,
otherwise the incompatible old binary macro file will not load - just cause an error message.

So in this case, what seemed like a bug was actually my own negligence.

Am Mi., 4. Jan. 2023 um 11:14 Uhr schrieb <nkor...@gmail.com>:

Some custom macros failed to auto-load.  Should we recompile these?

Thanks!

--

---

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 6:26:22 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
So checking this is assumed?:

"SAL Compiler V4.50 (bcc version)"

---

f:\wordproc\tse32_v44200 Wed 04-01-23 12:24:22> sc32.exe
SAL Compiler V4.50 (bcc version)
Copyright 1991-2021 SemWare Corp.  All rights reserved worldwide.

B - Burnin/Configure editor
C - Compile stand-alone Macro
? - Show command-line parameters

Carlo Hogeveen

Jan 4, 2023, 6:35:42 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Knud wrote:
> Carlo wrote:
>> TSE's compiler version stayed the same, so no recompiles should be necessary for that reason either.
> How can this be checked?

Usually three possible ways: (but there is a but)

1.
Using https://ecarlo.nl/tse/index.html#Execute
ExecMacro('Execute Warn(INTERNAL_VERSION)')

2.
Using https://ecarlo.nl/tse/index.html#TSEfilVrs
ExecMacro('TSEfilVrs')

3.
Copy and execute the macro:
Proc Main()
Warn(INTERNAL_VERSION)
End Main

BUT
Semware added new macro commands in 4.49, so there must be a new compiler version, so Semware must have forgotten to update INTERNAL_VERSION, again.
This sabotages our macros' ability to check TSE's capabilities at compile-time and provide a warning or solution if a user's TSE has not been updated yet.

Carlo

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 6:39:42 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> "SAL Compiler V4.50 (bcc version)"

Indeed, that is not going to work, as e.g. for 4.42 it is the same as for 4.49 still you get the non-compatible macro warning.

So INTERNAL_VERSION is what (in general) should be used thus.

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 7:23:28 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
FYIO

This is also not going to work (=looking at the different file sizes), e.g. checking the file size. Because if trying to run a 4.42 TSE macro in a 4.48 gives still the error:

'Macro compiled with wrong sc: <your macro filename>'

Despite the sc32.exe thus not changed at all in these 2 versions.

See below table:

===

TSE 4.41 12-05-2018  07:40         175,616  sc32.exe
TSE 4.42 04-01-2022  04:14         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.43 10-05-2022  20:21         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.44 19-06-2022  13:54         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.45 18-07-2022  21:29         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.46 17-09-2022  18:41         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.47 22-09-2022  02:32         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.48 24-11-2022  15:11         176,640  sc32.exe
TSE 4.49 02-01-2023  17:15         177,152  sc32.exe

But using e.g. Microsoft fc.exe (=File Compare) shows  (still) differences:

(this is on 1 line):

fc.exe g:\wordproc\tse\tse_beta44800\sc32.exe g:\wordproc\tse\tse_beta44900\sc32.exe

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 7:26:10 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
E.g.

fc.exe C:\TEMP\448\sc32.exe C:\TEMP\449\sc32.exe

shows differences.

Note: This goes also for other 'equal' sc32.exe versions tested with fc.exe.

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 7:38:30 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> Carlo wrote:
> so Semware must have forgotten to update INTERNAL_VERSION, again.

Suggestion only: maybe Semware could automate the version update in C / C++, e.g. using something like:

version++

or similar when recompiling sc32.exe.

Thanks

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 7:43:56 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
For example the same happens with all my TSE macros, each
time I recompile these a counter is automatically increased with 1.

e.g.

<version>1.0.0.0</version>
then
<version>1.0.0.1</version>
then
<version>1.0.0.2</version>

Method: It searches using a regular expression for this <version>{.*}</version> to extract the current version, then increases with 1 at the appropriate location and replaces it.

--

---

Henriques18

Jan 4, 2023, 10:58:36 AM1/4/23
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
I wonder of not the problem lies in the virusscanner. I use Norton 360 and upon starting tse.exe it's removed for having a virus, after telling norton don't worry I get the same with tse.dat  so also told norton don't worry, then I get the message on g32.exe.
The message was, if I remember well, ws-reputation_1

Carlo Hogeveen

Jan 4, 2023, 11:04:00 AM1/4/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Henrique,

> I wonder of not the problem lies in the virusscanner.

A reasonable guess. No, it does not.
I tested for that, and Sammy could reproduce the bug.

Carlo

knud van eeden

Jan 4, 2023, 11:06:57 AM1/4/23
to SemWare TSE Pro text editor
Not sure if a particular virusscanner (e.g. Norton) is the root cause, very unlikely.

Because when I renamed here tse.dat to setup.exe and did run it even without being an administrator (I had to approve running of the program though) it did nothing basically (opened and closed a few windows).

And on my system no Norton is running.

Also expected is that the (any) virus scanner would report the program (setup.exe) and quarantaine it which is not happening until now.

with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden

--

---