RE: [TSE] Text2html tool - Email client question - Outlook bug

Carlo Hogeveen

Aug 31, 2021, 6:43:02 AM8/31/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Outlook users,

I described, that you could copy/paste syntax highlighted text from a web browser page (generated with Text2html) into an email.

It turns out that Outlook contains a bug: per email it only pastes correctly the first  time.

Every next time such a text is pasted with broken up lines, even from the same unchanged clipboard.

This happens under the hood: Outlook itself compensates for it and does not show it.

But a receiver with another email client like EM Client will see the broken up lines.

The good news is, that we Outlook users can still use the method as long as we only use only one syntax highlighted code snippet per email.

The bad news is, that I do not have a solution or work-around for the bug.

Outlook does have an “insert a file into the text”-like command, that is often used to import HTML into an email, but that breaks up the syntax highlighted lines the first time it is used.

Carlo

Carlo Hogeveen

Sep 7, 2021, 7:30:36 AM9/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Sorry,

I made 2 mistakes in the previous email below:

1 There is no Outlook bug.

2 It is not EM Client but Pegasus that has an optional display problem.

Yes, if you copy highlighted text from a web browser’s (Chrome in my case) Text2html-generated page into an Outlook mail, then under the hood Outlook formats such a text differently when it is pasted the first time from when it is pasted each next time, but the difference is not erroneous.

Yes, Pegasus can initially show such a next copy/pasted highlighted text strangely wrapped, but this can be avoided by right-clicking in the message and selecting either “Reformat long lines” or “Wrap long lines”. These are sticky options: they stay across messages.

Additionally, I tested and confirmed that thus highlighted text in a mail message works with the Thunderbird mail client too.

In conclusion, if you use Text2html to convert a syntax highlighted TSE buffer to an HTML page and you copy that highlighted text from a web browser into an email,  then so far this works with all reported email clients that support HTML in an email, with a note for Pegasus.

Carlo

https://ecarlo.nl/tse/index.html#Text2html