TSE: Should personal or custom written TSE files be put in the TSE mac directory?

knud van eeden

Jun 2, 2024, 3:18:28 PMJun 2
to SemWare TSE Pro Text Editor
TSE: Should personal or custom written TSE files be put in the TSE mac directory?

The advice is to not put personal or custom written TSE files into the <TSE>\mac\ directory.

These personal or custom written TSE files should be put in a separate
path, outside of the <TSE>\mac directory.
Typically in your TSE working directory.

The TSE mac directory should in general be kept clean and should be reserved for native TSE files
(= the files installed by TSE during the TSE installation).
It will only clutter things and e.g. might make migration between versions more unnecessary complicated
and or it will not be migrated at all.

Thus mixing the <TSE>\mac directory with personal or custom written TSE files can be considered
a not good practice in general.

with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden

S.E. Mitchell

Jun 3, 2024, 7:32:02 AMJun 3
to sem...@googlegroups.com
I put all my custom macros in a directory called "user", and add that
to my TSEPath.
> --
>
> ---

knud van eeden

Jun 3, 2024, 1:37:04 PMJun 3
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, similar here, indeed 2 separate directories, no mixing.

1. There is a working directory with all my TSE macros
(including my TSE -e startup macro)

2. The TSE /mac directory is basically not touched.

3. g32.exe is burned and compiled with 'SearchCurrentDirectory' set to 'ON' (before one did not have to do this as that behavior
of TSE looking in the current start directory was the default).

4. When migration to latest version I only recompile myself that working directory with all my TSE macros using the latest
'sc32.exe *.s',
including the startup macro.

5. So to run TSE then one has to only:

a. Change directory to that working directory

b. Start TSE by typing or running

    g32.exe -e<mystartupmacro>

6. As stated the TSE /mac directory is further not touched in general.

7. Note: Using this method there is not even the need to put your working directory in the TSE PATH in e.g. 'Options' > 'Full configuration' (whatever is in there is
basically completely ignored and not relevant) because you tell TSE yourself what the working directory by CD (Change Directory) on the command line (e.g. CD working_directory & path_to_g32.exe -eyour_startup_macro_in_your_working_directory) to that working directory so that you start it yourself in your working directory of choice, outside of TSE.

knud van eeden

Jun 3, 2024, 2:13:01 PMJun 3
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> I put all my custom macros in a directory called "user", and add that
to my TSEPath.

Note: A disadvantage of this method is that one is forced to use that fixed worked directory as stored in the TSE path.

On the other hand the method of changing on the command line to the working directory and then running TSE g32.exe is much more flexible thus.
It can be done fully outside of TSE itself.

One can thus do this CD (change directory) change to *any* working directory on your harddrive
without having to change anything in TSE itself (e.g. the TSE Path) thus.

So this latter method is much more flexible and less rigid.

S.E. Mitchell

Jun 3, 2024, 5:10:54 PMJun 3
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Well, I disagree.
But each of us is entitled to their own opinion.
For me, setting TSEPath is a no-brainer - it is set in my tsestart macro.
And I have never had to worry about it for many years.

Again, do what works best for you. Using TSEPath works best for me,
your mileage may vary.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 2:13 PM 'knud van eeden' via SemWare TSE Pro
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/1309224356.1308311.1717438376332%40mail.yahoo.com.

knud van eeden

Jun 3, 2024, 5:50:32 PMJun 3
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Yes  in line with George Orwell, all methods are equal,  but some methods are more equal than others ;-)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra / 1 terabyte / artificial intelligence