New: TSE for Linux - 4.50 rc15

S.E. Mitchell

Dec 15, 2023, 2:20:17 PM12/15/23
to TSEPro Support
https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/tse-linux-4.50-rc15.tgz
15 Dec 2023 v4.50 release candidate 15
New tsort.com added for the linux version.

In sync with the Windows version.

The Linux terminal driver no longer sends these sequences upon startup:

\033= alternate keypad mode
\033[>4;1m request CSI u style key reporting
\033[>4;2m request CSI u style key reporting

I had at least one report that many keys were no longer
recognized when those sequences were sent.
When I removed those sequences, the keys were recognized again.

The only reason to use them was to try and distinguish between certain
keys that cannot be distinguished:

tab ctrl-i
enter ctrl-m
ctrl-backspace ctrl-h
ctrl-spacebar ctrl-`
grey /*-+ vs. the other ones.

I can not tell any difference in keyboard handling with or without
them, so for now they are no longer being sent.

Let me know if you notice keys not working that did work in previous
versions.

Carlo Hogeveen

Dec 16, 2023, 8:16:06 AM12/16/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Sammy,

A familiar error:
Running tsort.com without parameters in Linux returns:
./tse/tsort.com: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by ./tse/tsort.com)
./tse/tsort.com: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by ./tse/tsort.com)

Carlo

S.E. Mitchell

Dec 16, 2023, 8:37:07 AM12/16/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
I guess I'll either have to use the Watcom version (slower), or the
gcc -static option, which creates a 853k (yikes!) executable.
I wonder how Watcome does it, e.g., it runs virtually anywhere, and
the executable is only 38k. But it is somewhat slower than the gcc
version.

I've done some light benchmarking - the gnu sort that comes with
Ubuntu is twice as fast as tsort.
Since all versions of Linux include sort as standard, perhaps I should
give up on tsort for Linux, and just have the sort macro use the
system sort on Linux, as you were working on.

On Windows, it seems to be the opposite. tsort is about twice as fast
as the system sort, so we could keep it there.
> --
>
> ---

Carlo Hogeveen

Dec 16, 2023, 9:43:14 AM12/16/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

My preliminary tests say that the Linux sort command is not even stable when sorting normally.
That is bad! I need my normal sorts to be stable.
I love(d) that tsort.com would solve that in Linux.
Extreme examples aside, I prefer quality over speed any day.
MHO there is no point in getting a bad solution fast.

Now that the internal Sort() has been upgraded, which already was stable both ways, my only speed criterium for tsort.com is, whether it will add value by being faster than the existing internal Sort() or not.

Carlo
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/CA%2BgEvkbfQ5XFcM5WLaXCe_oYC1zyeGDZnyCCK-iBdXzLCk3sZA%40mail.gmail.com.

S.E. Mitchell

Dec 16, 2023, 3:34:30 PM12/16/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
tsort-linux.zip uploaded to https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/
Let me know how it goes.
--
Sammy Mitchell
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/semware/001101da302e%2430ae0230%24920a0690%24%40ecarlo.nl.

Carlo Hogeveen

Dec 16, 2023, 5:19:41 PM12/16/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

> tsort-linux.zip uploaded to https://semware.com/files/tse-pro-install/
> Let me know how it goes.

It goes flawlessly and super fast.
I created a test of sufficient size that the internal Sort() needed about 40 seconds for it.
The new Linux tsort.com took 1 second to produce the exact same result.
The test also tested for stability both ways, and passed.
Well done!
Thanks!
And congratulations on beating the Linux sort command on stability!

Carlo

Carlo Hogeveen

Dec 21, 2023, 8:59:38 AM12/21/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Sammy,

There is a minor inconvenience in the latest Linux tsort.com.
I have already worked around it, but mention it so future users do not have to rediscover this.

The Windows and latest Linux tsort.com accept parameters preceded by a "/" or "-".
The Windows tsort.com accepts both types of parameters before and after the filenames.
The latest Linux tsort.com interprets "/" parameters before the filenames as if they are filenames too.

Carlo

S.E. Mitchell

Dec 22, 2023, 5:20:23 PM12/22/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> The latest Linux tsort.com interprets "/" parameters before the filenames as if they are filenames too.

That is a tough one. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that.
Thanks for the report!
--
Sammy
> --
>
> ---

knud van eeden

Dec 22, 2023, 7:16:33 PM12/22/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com, S.E. Mitchell
Checking for space(s) before and after /

?

with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra 512 gigabytes

Claus Futtrup

Dec 23, 2023, 5:37:09 AM12/23/23
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Hello

This is my first post to the group. Thank you for all the work that you
put into TSE.

I am a Windows 10 user, but was using Linux for a while (Slackware
style, from about 2001-2002 and until 2013-2014). I wonder which Linux
you are using?

Here is an interesting article about / in filenames on Linux:
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/filename-with-slash

With kind regards,
Claus Futtrup

S.E. Mitchell

Jan 1, 2024, 1:53:28 PMJan 1
to sem...@googlegroups.com
I found that I could statically link with the musl C standard library,
and create a 55k executable.
On my tests, it is about 35% faster than the Watcom version. It will
be included in the next Linux version.
Still slower than the Linux system sort though.
--
Sammy