Git integration!

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 3, 2021, 10:37:52 AM6/3/21
to Semware @ GoogleGroups

I created a so-called minimal viable product, here a TSE extension that has some rudimentary functionality that shows that and how git integration into TSE can work.

https://ecarlo.nl/tse/index.html#Git

knud van eeden

Jun 3, 2021, 6:52:32 PM6/3/21
to Semware @ GoogleGroups
Which git executable vendor is used?

E.g. Cygwin git.exe seems not to know the -C parameter.

with friendly greetings
Knud van Eeden

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 3, 2021, 7:27:51 PM6/3/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
For Windows I installed git from https://git-scm.com .
For Linux I tested in Debian under WSL2, and installed git with Debian's package manager, "apt install git" if I remember correctly.

Op 4 jun. 2021 om 00:52 heeft 'knud van eeden' via SemWare TSE Pro text editor <sem...@googlegroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

--

---

knud van eeden

Jun 4, 2021, 7:28:50 AM6/4/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I got this working here, OK.

===

FYI only (for the general user):

Steps:

1. Download and install a GIT executable

E.g.
Optionally e.g. the .zip version (e.g. on USB drive)

2. Download the git.s file and unzip in some directory
e.g. to
c:\TEMP\git.s

3. Download the status.s file and unzip in some directory
e.g. to
c:\TEMP\status.s

4. Goto the directory of your choice where you would like to have a GIT repository and type this once in that directory (you will have to adapt the file path of your git.exe to the conditions on your system)

E.g.

cd c:\TEMP\

g:\versioncontrol\git\gitscm\bin\git.exe init

5. Then run your TSE

6. Open in TSE the file git.s and compile it once
e.g. to
c:\TEMP\git.mac

7. Open in TSE the file status.s and compile it once
e.g. to
c:\TEMP\status.mac

8. Then run the macro status.mac (menu TSE > Macro > Execute > c:\TEMP\status.mac)

9. Then run the macro git.mac (menu TSE > Macro > Execute > c:\TEMP\git.mac)

10. in the menu that opens fill in the executable
g:\versioncontrol\git\gitscm\bin\git.exe
and as action
git add

11. Then open any file in that git directory
E.g.

c:\TEMP\foobar.txt

e.g. edit and or save it

you should see in the right top of the screen first

status ??

then maybe

status M

and

status A

12. So now that file is under GIT version control.

knud van eeden

Jun 5, 2021, 2:21:44 PM6/5/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
If wanting to display the status not in the right top corner, but in the MIDDLE of the status line, where should
this be set and or how?

Thanks

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 5, 2021, 3:59:27 PM6/5/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

A quick&dirty way would be to comment the 2nd call to exec_macro() in Git.s and add lines as in the example below.

As a downside this will lose you the capability to right-click on the status to access the Git menu.

        /*

        exec_macro(STATUS_MACRO_NAME + ' ' + MY_MACRO_NAME +

                   ':Status,callback Git' + RTrim(' ' + git_status))

        */

        PutStrAttrXY(Query(ScreenCols)/2-5, 1,

                     ' Git ' + git_status + ' ',

                     '', Color(intense bright yellow ON blue))

--

---

knud van eeden

Jun 5, 2021, 6:34:50 PM6/5/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that works, now the git status is shown on top middle of the screen.

Note:
This moving of the git status was necessary because my usual TSE status line is on the bottom of the screen.
And there was already other status information shown (like 'clock', ...) on the right bottom.
So the git status text there was overwritten, so never visible.

knud van eeden

Jun 5, 2021, 6:44:06 PM6/5/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Further is git.s very useful.

(For the general reader: Just run first once status.mac, then git.mac, create as much directories you want to keep under GIT control using 'git.exe init',
then save your file in TSE that directory and you will see its git status in TSE)

knud van eeden

Jun 5, 2021, 7:14:41 PM6/5/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Question:

Now given that you have created a git directory
and saved TSE files under GIT version control
using git.s

How would you upload the files in that directory
to an online GIT system (e.g. github, gitlab, ...),
which commands would you use?

(given that you have tried this and was successful)

E.g. something like this:

cd yourdirectory
then type these commands:
git init
git remote add origin https://gitlab.com/<yourusername>/<yourrepository>.git
git add .
git commit -m "Initial commit"
git push -u origin main

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 6, 2021, 2:45:07 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor a representative of Semware.

A friendly reminder:

You write “... saved TSE files under GIT version control using git.s How would you upload the files in that directory to an online GIT system ...”.

Unless that online repository is private (only readable by you), you would be in violation of Semware’s license agreement as is shown and agreed upon during each TSE installation and as can be found in TSE’s built-in Help on the Contents page.

A legal way to share only your own and publicly available macros through a version control system would be to put them in a separate folder, to add that folder to TSE’s configuration option “Path(s) for Supplemental Files”, and to make that folder the root of your version control.

Jun 6, 2021, 5:11:47 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
This is without any doubt the strangest most akward response seen ever.There must be something wrong with that person.

The question is thus how to upload one own files from a local directory to an online directory using GIT.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:24:50 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
And to remind you this is what they call LIBEL.

LAW
a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

which is punishable by law. and or my lawyers.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:26:56 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
So if one person wants to go in that direction face the consequences.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:30:45 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
And you are under the jurisdiction of my country, so suing that person will not be a problem.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:34:17 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Bottom line, just relax and keep it relaxed here and see the positive side of things and questions and always assume the good, not the opposite.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:55:06 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
And next time you start with such approach there will be reactions and official complaints about you.

On Sunday, May 17, 2020, 09:27:06 AM GMT+2, Carlo Hogeveen <carlo.h...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
This is not a TSE Beta issue.
I do not appreciate having a third TSE mailing list spammed.
Perhaps you can group your infinite “How to” wisdoms in a weekly mail.
But not here: They do not address TSE Beta issues.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 5:57:23 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
And finally, remember here who, which person, starts and started with all this.

knud van eeden

Jun 6, 2021, 8:24:42 AM6/6/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
There has now been filed an official complaint against Carlo Hogeveen.

Carlo Hogeveen

Jun 7, 2021, 9:24:31 AM6/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Knud,

That was quite a tantrum. So much drama.

Content-wise your concerns have no merit, so I will ignore them.

I applaud you for taking your concerns to a third party.

That is a sensible thing to do.

Carlo

knud van eeden

Jun 7, 2021, 9:31:01 AM6/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Remember who started this 'drama' ;-)

--

---

knud van eeden

Jun 7, 2021, 9:33:27 AM6/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
One asks a relaxed technical question business as usual about the typical usage of git, and gets instead references to lawyers???? and disclaimers about not
being an employee of the company???? Talking about non-relevance.

Hahaha.

Next time stays within the boundaries.

knud van eeden

Jun 7, 2021, 9:43:15 AM6/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
> That was quite a tantrum

That is not exactly true.

There were e.g. some companies that tried to scam me online.

They now do not exist anymore (at least not online).

I go to country level (e.g. Europe) to report such organizations.

If necessary it will escalated by me and reported at the appropriate authorities.

knud van eeden

Jun 7, 2021, 9:45:51 AM6/7/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com
Bottom line: take warnings serious.