Edit2 v1: Browse and edit ADS and non-ANSI names

Carlo Hogeveen

May 12, 2022, 6:37:50 PM5/12/22
to sem...@googlegroups.com

ADS stands for alternate data stream, which is the extra capability of Microsoft’s NTFS file system to add invisible, file-like attachments to a folder or file.

ANSI is a standard on how to encode 218 displayable characters into single bytes. Nowadays the world uses Unicode to encode over 100,000 characters into sequences of bytes. My Unicode extension solved that problem for TSE for the content of files, not for their names.

Edit2 is a TSE tool, that browses and edits alternate data streams and non-ANSI names too.

Browsing and editing non-ANSI names is a new TSE capability.

A browser showing alternate data streams is a new Windows capability.

Nobody reported any errors or had any comments on the v0.1 beta and its follow-ups, and for now I am done adding new features, so here is v1.

https://ecarlo.nl/tse/index.html#Edit2

New features:

When you browse the file system, above the browser a display line redisplays the current line using the font’s full character range.

For example, it default allows the browser to show the file "Edit2 - The α and ω of Tools.txt" exactly as shown here from within TSE.

You can configure a better font for the browser’s display line.

You can capture the browser’s list with <Alt E> into a buffer, and use the “-f” parameter to load files and alternate data streams from a list in a file or buffer.