Text2html tool - Email client question

Carlo Hogeveen

Aug 30, 2021, 2:32:15 AM8/30/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

New info point:

Last night I reported that iOS mail switched white text on a black background to the reverse.

That turns out to be due to the device switching to dark mode at night.

This morning the same email looks white on black in iOS mail too.

Improved question:

I realised that for you to be able to judge how well your email client interprets syntax highlighting, you also need a picture of how the syntax highlighting is intended to look.

Picture of DARK syntax highlighting:

Your email client’s interpretation of the same DARK syntax highlighting:

// Calculate the square of a number:

  Warn('The square of'; number; 'is'; number * number)

Picture of LIGHT syntax highlighting:

Your email client’s interpretation of LIGHT syntax highlighting:

// Calculate the square of a number:
  Warn('The square of'; number; 'is'; number * number)

I would appreciate it if you could tell me the name of your email client and whether it renders the above syntax highlighting correctly.

I will document the results with the tool.

Thank you,

Carlo

image001.png
image002.png

Rick Bradley

Aug 30, 2021, 11:59:47 AM8/30/21
to Carlo Hogeveen, sem...@googlegroups.com
Carlo:

Dark highlighting seems fine but the light highlighting splits the text into separate lines.
graphic

On 30 Aug 2021 at 8:32, Carlo Hogeveen wrote:

> New info point:
> Last night I reported that iOS mail switched white text on a black background to the reverse.
> That turns out to be due to the device switching to dark mode at night.
> This morning the same email looks white on black in iOS mail too.
> Improved question:
> I realised that for you to be able to judge how well your email client interprets syntax highlighting, you also need a picture of how the syntax highlighting is intended to look.
> Picture of DARK syntax highlighting:
>
> Your email client’s interpretation of the same DARK syntax highlighting:
> // Calculate the square of a number:
>   Warn('The square of'; number; 'is'; number * number)
> Picture of LIGHT syntax highlighting:
>
> Your email client’s interpretation of LIGHT syntax highlighting:
> // Calculate the square of a number:
>   Warn('The square of'; number; 'is'; number * number)
> I would appreciate it if you could tell me the name of your email client and whether it renders the above syntax highlighting correctly.
> I will document the results with the tool.
> Thank you,
> Carlo
>
> --
>
> ---

Regards
F.J. (Rick) Bradley

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
--Douglas Adams

hts_1.JPG

Carlo Hogeveen

Aug 30, 2021, 5:10:55 PM8/30/21
to sem...@googlegroups.com

Rick,

I can confirm that that difference already existed in my sent email.

Outlook does not show the difference, but, based on what I see in the email’s source code, it is complete reasonable that EM Client does.

The problem is not caused by the Text2html tool: its generated HTML code does not contain the difference.

So the difference must occur in copying the highlighted text from the browser or in pasting the copied text in an Outlook mail.

It is my end of day, so I will continue this another one.

Thank you for catching and reporting this,

Carlo

Dark highlighting seems fine but the light highlighting splits the text into separate lines.

[ ... ]