Fwd: E-newsletter | Graduation Day 2019 | OKP scholarships for MSc programme in sanitation

Markos

May 6, 2019, 10:44:07 AM5/6/19
to SERRAS SUSTENTAVEIS, sempresu...@googlegroups.com, aguase...@yahoogrupos.com.br, agua-olha...@yahoogrupos.com.br, Ambiente Agua, quintasambientaisnojt, coordcursoe...@unifeso.edu.br

-------- Mensagem encaminhada --------
Assunto: E-newsletter | Graduation Day 2019 | OKP scholarships for MSc programme in sanitation
Data: Mon, 6 May 2019 10:24:28 +0000
De: IHE Delft Institute for Water Education <commun...@un-ihe.org>
Responder a: IHE Delft Institute for Water Education <commun...@un-ihe.org>
Para: Markos <mar...@c2o.pro.br>

E-newsletter May 2019
https://mailchi.mp/un-ihe/v0430ozm10-1187565?e=55193b6092

** Graduation Day 2019: 128 water professionals receive their MSc diploma

25 April 2019 marked an important day. A total of 128 water professionals from over 40 different countries walked towards the historical Old Church in Delft to receive their diplomas. We celebrated the accomplishments of our hard-working students leading up to the moment of their graduation. IHE Delft wishes all graduates the very best in their blooming careers as water experts. Watch the ceremony and read the full article here (https://www.un-ihe.org/news/graduation-day-2019-128-water-professionals-receive-their-msc-diploma) .

** UPCOMING EVENTS
Coastal Sediments Conference (http://www.un-ihe.org/coastal-sediments-conference) - 27 - 31 May 2019

PhD Defence Gabriela Alvarez Mieles (http://www.un-ihe.org/phd-defence-gabriela-alvarez-mieles) - 28 May 2019

IADC Seminar on Dredging and Reclamation (http://www.un-ihe.org/iadc-seminar-dredging-and-reclamation-0) - 24 - 28 Jun 2019

** Virus communities with adverse human health risks found in groundwater below slums in Africa (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/virus-communities-adverse-human-health-risks-found-groundwater-below-slums-africa)
Researchers from IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, together with their counterparts from universities in Uganda and Tanzania, have found traces of 25 harmful viruses in surface water in the slums of Kampala (Uganda), Accra (Ghana), and Arusha (Tanzania).  In particular, these are herpes viruses, pox viruses, and even papillomavirus, which may cause cancer.

“To our knowledge, these viruses have never been found in groundwater before on such a large scale”, according to Jan Willem Foppen.

** Prof. Zevenbergen interviewed by U.S. Radio 'Science Friday' about sponge cities (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/prof-zevenbergen-interviewed-us-radio-science-friday-about-sponge-cities)
Prof. Chris Zevenbergen was interviewed by U.S. Radio Program 'Science Friday' about sponge cities and water management.

The interview is about the pedestrian bridges, green roofs and terraced urban landscapes that architects and engineers are designing to build resiliency and what needs to be done to expand these ideas to the rest of the country. Listen to the interview here (https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/turning-flood-water-into-freshwater/) .

** PhD Fellows who were awarded a doctoral degree (https://www.un-ihe.org/phd-programme)
Mr. Eskinder Zinabu Belachew - Estimating Combined Loads of Diffuse and PointSource Pollutants into the Borkena River, Ethiopia (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/mr-eskinder-zinabu-belachew-awarded-doctoral-degree)

Ms Aline Maraci Lopes Saraiva Okello - Improved Hydrological Understanding of a Semi-Arid Subtropical Transboundary Basin Using Multiple Techniques – The Incomati River Basin (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/ms-aline-marcia-lopes-saraiva-okello-awarded-doctoral-degree)

** AfriAlliance and Wetskills sign Memorandum of Understanding (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/afrialliance-and-wetskills-sign-memorandum-understanding)

AfriAlliance and Wetskills signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on fostering a community of talented young water management professionals from Africa and Europe.

** Save the Date: ground truth 2.0 week 2019 (http://gt20.eu/gt20week/)
The Ground Truth 2.0 team invites you to participate in a week of dynamic and interactive events from 30 Sep to 4 Oct 2019. Join us in our (virtual) tour across two continents and six citizen observatories before we start two days of workshops in Delft! #gt20week (https://twitter.com/hashtag/gt20week?src=hash) #citizenscience (https://twitter.com/hashtag/citizenscience?src=hash) . Read more about the programme here (http://gt20.eu/gt20week/) .

**

** INTERESTING PUBLICATIONS (https://www.un-ihe.org/)
Blogs/Seminars
* “Latrine Doctrine”: Mumbai #sanitation iceberg and the Clean India Mission. (https://youtu.be/nvcD8oycnpg)
* Are Communal Tiger Worm Toilets a sustainable option for camps? (https://views-voices.oxfam.org.uk/2019/04/are-communal-tiger-worm-toilets-a-sustainable-option-for-camps/?fbclid=IwAR31CYzPw87QrVYxlALCMfE2g6EMz3RPScZZMO3yvkvGHrp0fYnawLxcM-E)
* Why water is one of the weirdest things in the universe (https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/why-water-is-one-of-the-weirdest-things-in-the-uni/p06y2c9k?playlist=amazing-animations)
* Prof. Joyeeta IHE’s Seminar on "The Global Environment Outlook 2019: Healthy Planet, Healthy People". (https://unesco.presentations2go.eu/P2G/Player/Player.aspx?id=dbaVrl)
* River basin organisations: an anchor for water diplomacy? (https://flows.hypotheses.org/3511?fbclid=IwAR3m9YpECwA-rXwj_WsYFPnK9OJN5rVIPgXEJMP8MRGRUUjec7iDmThwslk)
* Canción del Atrato: a journey of water, dispossession and resistance (https://flows.hypotheses.org/3530?fbclid=IwAR1aHfZisVYmIdYWxllgSWejr6AsNfNZpboTVEf1jb_KvIYKczR-Qjijxdo)

Stories
* Why is fetching water considered a 'women's job'?  (https://www.un-ihe.org/stories/why-fetching-water-considered-%E2%80%98woman%E2%80%99s-job%E2%80%99)
* How can European open data developments INSPIRE the rest of the world? (https://www.un-ihe.org/stories/how-can-european-open-data-developments-inspire-rest-world)

UN-Water’s publications
* UN World Water Development Report 2019: Leaving No One Behind (https://en.unesco.org/water-security/wwap/wwdr/2019#download)

** OKP SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MSC PROGRAMME IN SANITATION
Master of Science Programme in Sanitation (https://www.un-ihe.org/news/ihe-delft-accepts-applications-msc-sanitation-20202021)
Application deadline: 08 July 2019

** SUMMER COURSES (http://www.un-ihe.org/short-courses)
On Monday 29 July 2019, ten five-day summer courses which will start at IHE Delft. Each course focuses on a different issue such as leadership, gender and finance. Mid-May, the courses will be published on www.un-ihe.org/short-courses and applications will be accepted.

** Student competition: protecting St. Maarten’s coral reefs (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/student-competition-protecting-st-maarten%E2%80%99s-coral-reefs)
Student competition: protecting St. Maarten’s coral reefs. The competition is aimed at creating a sense of ownership by the island population, by generating awareness amongst the local government, donor organizations, industries and the people of St. Maarten, about the loss of coral and its potential consequences for the island’s economy. It will be launched in August/September 2019.

** Crop productivity in Africa (https://www.un-ihe.org/news/crop-productivity-africa?back=747643)

The project Water Productivity Improvement in Practice (Water-PIP), supported by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, aims to facilitate the increase in crop water productivity in Middle East and Africa region. Farmers from this area have been trying to discover new ways to sustainably produce more and better crops and increase their water productivity, such as by the use of drip irrigation. Learn more about the project and watch the videos https://bit.ly/2vvaxt6 (https://bit.ly/2vvaxt6?fbclid=IwAR3uY_Lqf0fHd_vOD6Q6YhVJqqo_YpFH1_7I88VuRXHTFe8mXhJQZ4cOOj0)

** Drones in Hydraulic Engineering and Hydro-Environmental Studies (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/drones-hydraulic-engineering-and-hydro-environmental-studies)
The Special Issue of the IAHR magazine Hydrolink showcases the application of drones in a variety of case studies. Linked to this is the imminent creation of a Working Group on the use of drones in hydro-environment research, under the auspices of IAHR and IHE Delft. If you are interested in knowing more or in taking part in the working group click here (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/drones-hydraulic-engineering-and-hydro-environmental-studies) .

** IHE Delft Highlights of 2018 (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/ihe-delft-highlights-2018)
This new-look Highlights presents a snapshot of some of the many activities of IHE Delft in 2018. We have grouped these under the four main global water challenges (too much, too little, too dirty and too hard to access water). Read Highlights here (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/ihe-delft-highlights-2018) .

** Sustainable water storage to meet water, food and energy development goals (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/sustainable-water-storage-meet-water-food-and-energy-development-goals)
>From 2 to 4 April, IHE Delft was present at AFRICA 2019 - Hydropower and Dams Conference. IHE Delft organised and hosted a session on “Sustainable water storage to meet water, food and energy development goals”. Find out more (http://www.un-ihe.org/news/sustainable-water-storage-meet-water-food-and-energy-development-goals) about the Session Outcome on Nexus Securities for Populations affected by Multi-purpose Dams.

** ARE YOU INTERESTED IN WORKING FOR IHE DELFT? (https://www.un-ihe.org/working-ihe-delft)

Junior eLearning Developer | 38 hours (http://www.un-ihe.org/sites/default/files/19-eb-02_junior_elearning_developer.pdf)

TIP:
For other water job openings, check Josh's Water Jobs (https://www.joshswaterjobs.com/)
Academic Transfer https://www.academictransfer.com/en/
Euraxess https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/

Copyright © 2019 IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, All rights reserved.
 You registered through our website, http://www.un-ihe.org

Our mailing address is:
IHE Delft Institute for Water Education
PO Box 3015