(Un)constrained submission

Jakub Macháček

Jan 20, 2016, 8:40:56 AM1/20/16
to SemEval-ABSA
Hello,

I have some lists of words. I extracted them from the training set and manually filtered out some misleading words. Do I get it right that regardless its source (training set), those lists would still count as additional resources and thus could not be used in constrained submission? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Jakub Macháček

Dimitris Galanis

Jan 20, 2016, 9:37:00 AM1/20/16
to Jakub Macháček, SemEval-ABSA
Hello,

Did you use any resources (e.g. polarity lexica) to extract the words?

DG

Jakub Macháček

Jan 20, 2016, 10:24:16 AM1/20/16
to SemEval-ABSA, xtr...@gmail.com
No, I used no lexicons to extract the data. But I used my knowledge of English language to decide which data should be in which list.

Dimitris Galanis

Jan 21, 2016, 5:29:33 AM1/21/16
to Jakub Macháček, SemEval-ABSA
Hello again,

This is a borderline case between constrained and unconstrained.

Since the words are extracted from *only* the training dataset without
using any external resources (e.g. lexica, additional reviews), we think that
-even though you used your knowledge of English language- your submission should be marked as **constrained**. So, please mark it as constrained and submit it when you are ready.

In the overview paper we will mark it either as constrained or as special case of constrained (e.g constrained*). We used a constrained* mark for similar submissions in the past (ABSA-14, ABSA-15).

Please in your submission ("Short submission description") and in your paper describe in detail
your method and the resources you used.

DG

Ayush

Jan 21, 2016, 6:02:39 AM1/21/16
to Dimitris Galanis, Jakub Macháček, SemEval-ABSA

Hi,

Does using tokenizer also puts into unconstrained submission?

Thanks

Ayush

Dimitris Galanis

Jan 21, 2016, 7:16:19 AM1/21/16
to Ayush, Jakub Macháček, SemEval-ABSA
Hi,

The use of generic text processing tools such as tokenizers, POS taggers, dependency parsers etc does not make a submission unconstrained. If you use a sentiment analyzer that is based on a sentiment lexicon then it is unconstrained.

DG

Stefan Falk

Jun 21, 2017, 12:08:37 PM6/21/17
to SemEval-ABSA, xtr...@gmail.com
I am keeping coming back to this issue because in my opinion this should not be considered as "constrained". Imho this is absolutely equivalent as using an external resource. Could somebody explain to me why exactly this is not considered as unconstrained?

I would like to give an example: Assume among those 2000 sentences are very precise words like e.g. "savory". Now let such a word only appear a few times in the entire corpus. This means I will find it hard to conclude that "savory" (rare) is actually similar as "delicious" simply because there are not enough samples. However, using pre-trained GoogleNews word embeddings I could determine that those words do in fact show a certain similarity. Thus, using external resources, I am absolutely able to improve my results because GoogleNews word embeddings are going to deliver knowledge form outside of the provided training data.

How is that different as if I were just using my own brain?