New Focus for Austin ACM SIGKDD, Machine Learning Competitions and Sports Betting

David G. Boney

Sep 22, 2012, 3:37:36 PM9/22/12
to austin...@yahoogroups.com, aust...@googlegroups.com, semantic...@googlegroups.com, Austin-ACM-...@meetup.com
Austin ACM SIGKDD has a new focus, making money from machine learning and data mining. Attendance at recent meetings has dwindled since we stopped meeting weekly last spring. On Thursday, three of the regular attendees and myself met to discuss the future of the group. We decided to try a weekly format with a programming focus on how to do machine learning for Kaggle competitions and sports betting. We are going to do this for a trial period, through the end of October, and then evaluating if it is a sustainable activity. Please send any feedback you have on the time, location, and topic of the Austin ACM SIGKDD activities, and what you would want to see out of the group.

Austin ACM SIGKDD is now a group on Meetup, please join.

Elastic Knowledge has offered sponsorship for a weekly meeting at noon on Monday at their office at Tech Ranch Austin. This will be an opportunity for people to get together to discuss machine learning approaches to Kaggle competitions and/or sports betting. This is also an opportunity for people to network and form teams for the competitions, but Austin ACM SIGKDD will not formally sponsor any teams. This is a brown bag event , so bring your own lunch. Misty has done some work on a Kaggle competition and I have done some work on predictive modeling for Baseball and KDDCUP. The address for Tech Ranch Austin is below.

Dates for weekly lunch meeting:

09/24/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch
10/01/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch
10/08/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch
10/15/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch
10/22/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch
10/29/2012 - Monday - Noon - Tech Ranch

Austin ACM SIGKDD will continue the once a month, third Wednesday of the month, meetings at the Northwest Recreation Center. I will focus on finding speakers to discuss what they have done in Kaggle competitions or sports betting, otherwise, I will look for academic speakers on machine learning and data mining. Drop me a line if you want to make a presentation.

Dates for monthly Austin ACM SIGKDD meetings:

10/17/2012 - Wednesday - 7 to 8 pm - Northwest Recreation Center
11/21/2012 - Wednesday - 7 to 8 pm - Northwest Recreation Center
12/19/2012 - Wednesday - 7 to 8 pm - Northwest Recreation Center

Please join Austin ACM SIGKDD to continue receiving notices of our activities.

Tech Ranch Austin
911 Old Jollyville Road
Austin, TX 78759

Northwest Recreation Center