Austin ACM SIGKDD - Meeting October 17, 2012, 7-8 pm

David G. Boney

Oct 15, 2012, 11:48:58 AM10/15/12
to austin...@yahoogroups.com, Austin-ACM-...@meetup.com, aust...@googlegroups.com, semantic...@googlegroups.com
The next monthly meeting of Austin ACM SIGKDD will be Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 7-8 PM at Northwest Recreation Center.

Austin ACM SIGKDD is currently focused on Kaggle competitions and sports betting. The speaker this month is Jason Karpeles. Jason is ranked number 7 on the Kaggle leader board and has competed in 34 Kaggle competitions.

Our remaining monthly meeting dates for the Fall are:

Wednesday, October, 17, 2012, 7:00 - 8:00 PM
Wednesday, November, 21, 2012, 7:00 - 8:00 PM
Wednesday, December, 19, 2012, 7:00 - 8:00 PM

Weekly brown bag lunch for Kaggle Competitions and Sports Begging

Austin ACM SIGKDD meets on Monday for a brown bag lunch at Austin Tech Ranch to discuss Kaggle competitions and sports betting. The lunch is sponsored by Elastic Knowledge. We have been having a good turn out for the meetings, between 8 to 10 people per meeting. We have been discussing the Heritage Health competition, which has a $3,000,000 prize.

People have been having problems finding Austin Tech Ranch on Old Jollyville Road. Please check the map before coming. If you know where the building is that the plane hit a couple of years ago, Tech Ranch is in the last building south on old Jollyville road in that group of buildings.

October dates for Monday Brown Bag Lunch:

Monday, October 15, 2012, 12-1 pm
Monday, October 22, 2012, 12-1 pm
Monday, October 29, 2012, 12-1 pm

Please bring your laptop and a power cord.

I have started an open source project to build a data cube on Hadoop and HBase. Data cubes are used to build multi-dimension data models for data warehouses. The project is called Hadoop Cube. One of the goals of the project is to provide the MDX query language for the Hadoop ecosystems. Another goal is to provide linear statistical models and machine learning techniques for Hadoop scaled multi-dimensional data models. Part of the project is related to research I am conducting at Texas A & M on implementing linear statistical models and linear algebra in Hadoop. Contact me if you are interested in participating.

Northwest Recreation Center
2913 Northland Dr. (2222 and Mopac)
Austin, TX 78757
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/northwest-recreation-center